Boss ME-70 pot problem (Emergency!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boss ME-70 pot problem (Emergency!)

The Pedal FX selector pot on my Boss ME-70 is randomly fluctuating. This is bad because if I'm on -1 Octave pedal control for example it will jump to Mod Rate and back randomly.

When it started doing this months ago I soldered on a parallel resistor to decrease the range of the pot and thus double the number of steps per pedalFX selection to add some stability. I didn't need the higher selections so it was ok to lose them.

But now it has started fluctuating again. Is it possible it is just a dirty pot? The pot seems to have some built in step restraints to constrain it to the appropriate resistance selections so I'm wondering if it might be a voltage fluctuation caused elsewhere.

Any ideas for troubleshooting? I have a gig tomorrow and of course it starts acting up again tonight after months of good behaviour

It's hard to say if you can clean the pot. Might be sealed type.
    What some of us do is take the pot off the board.
    Disassemble and clean the inside, reassemble, and solder it back in.
    On sealed units, that's about all you can do in a pinch.
    If the pot has an opening, you can spray, Deoxit D100, Deoxit G100, or F100 fader lube into it...then rotate it many times.
    If you use the wrong type cleaner, it can destroy the control...
    Sometimes, it's crackled solder connections, you need to resolder it maybe? Does the problem come and go, when you tap on the board?
    But you should only use an ESD safe soldering iron, on that digital puppy.

Comment

Originally posted by insomniac View Post
      The Pedal FX selector pot on my Boss ME-70 is randomly fluctuating. This is bad because if I'm on -1 Octave pedal control for example it will jump to Mod Rate and back randomly.

When it started doing this months ago I soldered on a parallel resistor to decrease the range of the pot and thus double the number of steps per pedalFX selection to add some stability. I didn't need the higher selections so it was ok to lose them.

But now it has started fluctuating again. Is it possible it is just a dirty pot? The pot seems to have some built in step restraints to constrain it to the appropriate resistance selections so I'm wondering if it might be a voltage fluctuation caused elsewhere.

Any ideas for troubleshooting? I have a gig tomorrow and of course it starts acting up again tonight after months of good behaviour
      I have a similar problem , I cant select the loop station anymore(the one effect I use the most) or the delay on the modulation pedal, the preamp also doesn't go to the rectifier option and the expression pedal jumps between the two whammy options when I have one selected , I cant send it off as the warranty has ran out , anyone know how much it should cost yo repair or how id do it myself?

Comment

Working...
      X