Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rotary pickup selector switch

Hello,
    I am trying to wire a rotary pickup selector switch to control two humbuckers. Upon looking at a Framus diagram I cannot tell if the switch is 2 pole or not. Is there a way to tell the difference . All of the books I have looked at only show a primary circuit.
    Anyway I hope some one knows how to do this. Didn't some harmony guitars use that method?
    Thanks for any help in advance!

From what I can tell here:

Alexplorer's Axe Hacks: Rotary Switching Possbilities.\

it looks like this switching is usually done with a 4 pole 5 or 6 way switch (if the combinations shown are what you are expecting). That would mean the rotary switch has two wafers, each wafer having 2 poles.

Comment

I've done some mods with both 2- and 3- pole rotary switches. At the most basic, since there are no 'in between' positions on a rotary switch, if you want to combine pickups in parallel, you must wire one pickup to one pole, and the second pickup to the other pole, something like:

Neck Neck N/A
      N/A Bridge Bridge

so three positions and two pickups, like a standard 3-position toggle. Get creative and add tone controls and coil taps on additional switch poles!
      If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
      If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
      We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas
      MANY things in human experience can be easily differentiated, yet *impossible* to express as a measurement. - Juan Fahey

Comment

Hello,
        Thanks guys, I know about the 4 pole 5 position rotary switches. I used one to split a pickup on a Les Paul JR. copy I made out of parts. Out of phase, parallel,north, south coil, and normal. I was just looking to clean up another project by dumping the toggle switch. I always thought it looked added on as an afterthought.
        I found a rotary switch which replaces the toggle switch on a Framus diagram. Both poles of the drawing had the same orientation, when I realized that I got it worked out and functional.
        Thank you for your input, It's nice to know there is a place to ask questions when your at a loss!!!

Comment

Working...
        X