Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast

Thread: Electric Blues (Hot Guitar Lick Blues)

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 118/21
    Given: 143/9
    The great late Mike Bloomfield!
    Electric Flag, "I'd Rather Drink Muddy Water"

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    “When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.” WILL ROGERS

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 110/0
    Given: 77/0

Michael Kiwanuka - Cold Little Heart

Michael Kiwanuka - Cold Little Heart

This song played over the opening credits of "Big Little Lies" on HBO earlier this year, a 7-episode soap opera with Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon.
    Kiwanuka is a certified double threat, both as a soul vocalist who would have fit right in at the Stax and Hi labels in the 60's and 70's, and as a top-notch guitarist touring with Adele in 2011.

Steve Ahola

P.S. That song has a very brief solo 3 minutes into the song but here is a tune with a lot more electric lead guitar, presumably played by Michael...

https://youtu.be/nOubjLM9Cbc

Last edited by Steve A.; 05-24-2017 at 01:20 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Matt is one of my new favorites, having burst onto the scene in the past 10 or 15 years singing and playing his own blend of blues, rock and jazz, perhaps like a cross between Robben Ford and Albert King...?

Watch "MATT SCHOFIELD Lights Are On.m4v" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/17PCAp1-zMk

I'd call him my favorite young blues guitarist but I see that he turned 40 last summer... "favorite middle aged blues guutarist" doesn't quite have the same ring to it!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Schofield

Steve A.

Better Tone thru Mathematics bob p's Avatar
    Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 50/0
    Given: 0/0
    Steve, you should post a video of Steve Ahola playing blues guitar. I heard a soundfile of him once and I thought he was pretty good.

"Stand back, I'm holding a calculator." - chinrest

"I happen to have an original 1955 Stratocaster! The neck and body have been replaced with top quality Warmoth parts, I upgraded the hardware and put in custom, hand wound pickups. It's fabulous. There's nothing like that vintage tone or owning an original." - Chuck H

Thumbs Up/Down
    Just heard this on Spotify... Kenny Wayne is sure getting that Albert King/SRV Texas Flood sound on this!

Watch "Dark side of love-The Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/4fJ8kYnWPXs

Steve A.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by bob p View Post
    Steve, you should post a video of Steve Ahola playing blues guitar. I heard a soundfile of him once and I thought he was pretty good.
    There is one on YouTube when I weighed almost 200 lbs more than I do now after esophageal surgery and chemo in 2016 brought me down to ~160#... I'll have to dig that up...

EDIT... Here it is. My solo starts about 3 minutes into the song so if you click on this link...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv6CBkkEQBc&t=3m2s
    ...you will go right to it.

I was playing my PRS SE Custom Semi-Hollow into one of those cheap Vox pedalboards with a tube. I think I had tried turning up the reverb with my toe and kicked it up too high. That was a low volume jam so at that time both guitarists were using 5W Epiphone Valve Jr heads to keep the levels down...

Here is Jim Caroompas finishing up the song on vocals and guitar after the extremely boring harmonica solo...

Watch "Armando's 2-9-09 Blues Jam" on YouTube:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv6CBkkEQBc&t=6m0s

We used to jam in my parents basement in 1970 when he played a Marshall stack before getting bitten by the blues bug at a jam led by Matt Jacobs who was a big influence on Mark Hummel a few years later. Matt was from Chicago and said he was Little Walter's cousin but we all took that with a grain of salt. Matt became a major player in the San Francisco blues scene in the 80's as Boogie Jake.

Steve A.

P.S. I guess I must have been pretty hot that week because I recorded this with the band I was playing with a few days later...

https://m.soundcloud.com/sssteeve/01...l-on-you-02-15

That was only the second or third time I had played the song and I could never recapture the flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants nervous-as-hell vibe of that solo. We played every Sunday night at the local saloon for 9 months until the owner decided to go instead with a dj.

Last edited by Steve A.; 01-06-2018 at 10:05 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Here's another version of "Key to the Hiway".
    I miss Mr Johnny Winter!

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 290/0
    Given: 380/0
    That guitar has series pickup switching options or I'm a cactus. I'll say bridge and middle in series, out of phase. Possibly all three pickups in series with the middle out of phase. Nice tone.

"...less ear-friendly but handy for jazz." Leo_Gnardo

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 166/0
    Given: 121/0

Introducing, one more time, Mick Abrahams!

Does that ring a bell? He sure rings my bells, all of 'em! Mick Abrahams was the guitarist on Jethro Tull's groundbreaking first album, a scant half century ago. Half an hour's video is an awful lot to ask MEF's server to carry, so I hope you will take the trouble to punch on the link and check this club concert out on YouseTube. Too bad there's none of his nine-string guitar work. But there IS a lot to like on this video from early in the millenium. Here ya go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGPlU7fIRiI

Thumbs Up/Down
    It was OK.
    For me, that Flute, Just Didn't Blues Cut it!

Here's an oldie from 75!

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by big_teee View Post
    It was OK. For me, that Flute, Just Didn't Blues Cut it!
    Well it is supposed to be about the guitar, innit? Granted some guy sitting in at some backyard venue in Italy, he sure wasn't any Ion Anderson. In any case there's lots more of Mick to be found on YouseTube, and you can never go wrong having another listen to Jethro Tull's first album. Same to be said for Blodwyn Pig, the band Mick formed right after his stint in Tull. Not much flute there, just a guy playing two saxes, and sometimes one. Give 'em a listen, it'll take you back to the good ol' days. At worst you'll have to conclude, "that was something different for a change!"

Thumbs Up/Down
    More Mike Bloomfield.
    Don't think I've posted this one.
    "If I Ever Get Lucky"

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    Well it is supposed to be about the guitar, innit? Granted some guy sitting in at some backyard venue in Italy, he sure wasn't any Ion Anderson. In any case there's lots more of Mick to be found on YouseTube, and you can never go wrong having another listen to Jethro Tull's first album. Same to be said for Blodwyn Pig, the band Mick formed right after his stint in Tull. Not much flute there, just a guy playing two saxes, and sometimes one. Give 'em a listen, it'll take you back to the good ol' days. At worst you'll have to conclude, "that was something different for a change!"
    I never cared much for the early Jethro Tull albums but Blodwyn Pig was one of my favorite bands back then... Mick Abrahams rules!

Watch "Blodwyn Pig - Ahead Rings Out -1969 Full Album-" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/4-VNfg9mg20

Watch "Blodwyn Pig – Getting To This 1970 (full album)" on YouTube
    https://youtu.be/XRRhXOv7tTY

Steve A.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by big_teee View Post
    More Mike Bloomfield.
    Don't think I've posted this one.
    "If I Ever Get Lucky"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6mp-vUHFIY
    That's a great song that was finally released awhile back as a bonus track on a CD reissue of the "Live at Bill Graham's Fillmore" LP featuring Taj Mahal and his excellent guitarist at the time, Jesse Ed Davis, on 2nd guitar behind Mike Bloomfield.

That was one of my favorite albums and I wore out many copies trying in vain to cop a few licks from Mike. * Five of the tracks recorded that weekend in early 1969 ended up on Nick Gravenites' first album "My Labors" so I consider them both to be one incredible weekend captured on tape. Nick's album has the more rock oriented songs while LaBGFW (my nickname) focused more on blues with Taj Mahal and Bob Jones providing vocals on two songs (please skip over "Oh Mama" which is undoubtedly the worst Mike Bloomfield vocal ever with absolutely no saving grace!) I consider this song to be the high point of the album as a slow blues that really cooks (the two songs with Taj Mahal also feature top notch blues guitar from Mike.)

Watch "Michael Bloomfield - Blues on a West Side" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/cdS62h55z7w

Mike has been my all-time favorite guitarist ever since "East-West" came out in 1966. This song along with many of the slow numbers recorded during that weekend in early 1969 have a very annoying and periodic squeak which I believe was the Hammond organ's rotating speaker desperately in need of lubrication.

Not one to curse the darkness I did a digital remaster in early 2007 of all of the tracks from that 3 day stand☆ which included manually removing each and every one of those damn squeaks from the afflicted tracks. I was using the spectral view in the Adobe Audition 3.0 audio editor which showed these round blobs spaced regularly every second or two - I'd draw a circle around them and hit F2 to run the noise reduction plug-in... and poof! the blob was gone. Hooray... no more squeaks!

Here is a link to the MP3's from a similar project digitally remastering a tape reportedly recorded by keyboard player Mark Naftalin of the early 1969 Fillmore shows and passed down from taper to taper for 37 years before I downloaded a legal copy of it from DIME.

https://app.box.com/folder/339405232

(I'm not sure how well it streams but you should be able to download the tracks and listen to them offline.

☆ That would be the songs included on the "Live at Bill Graham's Fillmore" LP and as CD bonus tracks as well as Nick Gravenites' "My Labors."

Steve A.

Here's a list of videos for all of the songs on the two albums:

"Live at Bill Graham's Fillmore" (full album)

Mike Bloomfield - album Live at Bill Graham's Fillmore West 1969 by Michael666u7 - Dailymotion

-=÷=◇=÷=○=÷=◇=÷=-

Watch "NICK GRAVENITES ,MIKE BLOOMFIELD . BLUES LIVE AUDIO 1969" on YouTube (the first three tracks of My Labors)

https://youtu.be/cfK9mrGDyNI

-=÷=◇=÷=○=÷=◇=÷=-

Watch "Nick Gravenites & Mike Bloomfield - Moon Tune" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/zUyMd-8irIE

-=÷=◇=÷=○=÷=◇=÷=-

Watch "Mike Bloomfield & Nick Gravenites ~* ''Wintry Country Side''(Modern Electric Blues 1969)" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/WoL1PgTa_eY

-=÷=◇=÷=○=÷=◇=÷=-

And the one Terry just posted, "If I Get Lucky"...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6mp-vUHFIY

-=÷=◇=÷=○=÷=◇=÷=-

Watch 'em now, download them if you can... you never know how long these videos will be up!

-=÷=◇=÷=○=÷=◇=÷=-

HOT OFF THE PRESS! Mike's album from the mid 70's "If You Love These Blues, Play 'em as You Please!" While of many of his solo albums in the 70's left much to be desired this album on Guitar Player Records had Mike playing both electric and acoustic guitar demonstrating various styles of blues. By this time he had established himself as one of the first Americana singer/guitarists after Ry Cooder, of course.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ypHjm931UHY

Last edited by Steve A.; 01-09-2018 at 09:23 AM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Great Bloomfield Cut Steve, I listened to it several times.

Here's an english Stone's version of "Little Red Rooster", thats not too shabby.
    Billy Preston on the Hammond, Ronnie plays some decent slide!

Last edited by big_teee; 01-11-2018 at 07:22 AM.

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    I found this Previously unreleased song by Lynyrd Skynyrd.
    "Blues Medley"
    I've never heard it before, and I thought knew, and had bought most Skynyrd music through the years.
    Very Allman brothers sounding, especially the guitar, which sounds a lot like Duane.
    I think Collins is playing most of the duane sounding licks, and the rest is probably Rossington, and maybe Ed King, between his rehab sessions!
    Ronnie Van Zant sounds a lot like Gregg A. at times. until he does his little high note thing.
    Great stuff and one for the archives! Enjoy!

Last edited by big_teee; 01-12-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    More Skynyrd. "Bad Boy Blues".
    This is probably more Southern Rock, but I really dig the rock hot lick blues guitar, in the middle.
    It still sound good!
    Enjoy!

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 17/0
    Given: 8/0
    Not exactly blues, but there is some blues in it.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Holy hell! I loved that! Hadn't heard of these guys yet, but, damn. A little jazzy in places, but most good blues guys are. Not a tone I would use, but he makes it his. Great voice too. Great band. I'm going shopping. Gotta get some of this in my collection. Need a "thank you" tab.

"A pedal, any kind, will not make a Guitar player more dangerous than he already is." J M Fahey

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"A shot gun delivers a force that exceeds the operational range of most systems, such as pumpkins." Antigua

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 17/0
    Given: 8/0
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck H View Post
    Holy hell! I loved that! Hadn't heard of these guys yet, but, damn. A little jazzy in places, but most good blues guys are. Not a tone I would use, but he makes it his. Great voice too. Great band. I'm going shopping. Gotta get some of this in my collection. Need a "thank you" tab.
    I just recently found them, from a thread at Aron's stompbox forum. Seems like a fairly unusual mix of familiar elements: blues, jazz, rock. All really good players too.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 176/20
    Given: 24/5
    Quote Originally Posted by dmartn149 View Post
    I just recently found them, from a thread at Aron's stompbox forum. Seems like a fairly unusual mix of familiar elements: blues, jazz, rock. All really good players too.
    Gotta love the WuTang Forever shirt.

nosaj

Thumbs Up/Down
    A very, er, interesting version of "Foxy Lady"...

"Foxy lady - Porcapizza loop performance"

Steve A.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 191/0
    Given: 157/0
    Hands down, the best tone I've ever heard out of a tennis racket.

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Hands down, the best tone I've ever heard out of a tennis racket.
    I think it is the hard hat that makes it work really well, not to mention the cool refret job!

Steve A.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve A. View Post
    ...not to mention the cool refret job!
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^from the guy who's been refretting all his guitars and has a recent post about the tonal nuance of gluing frets for more resonance!?! Those are zip ties!

Maybe we all need to fuss less and do more like Frank said: Shut up and play yer guitar

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 191/0
    Given: 157/0
    Hey! How do you know he didn't glue those zip ties to the fret board for more resonance?

“Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man.”

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dude View Post
    Hey! How do you know he didn't glue those zip ties to the fret board for more resonance?
    How about use zip ties for frets. I'll bet you'll get a special resonance with them installed rippley side up, bend some notes over that and strings will pick themselves.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 42/0
    Given: 127/1
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Gnardo View Post
    How about use zip ties for frets. I'll bet you'll get a special resonance with them installed rippley side up, bend some notes over that and strings will pick themselves.
    I remember seeing some novelty greeting cards decades ago (early 80s?) that had a thing that looked like the zip tie attached to the cardstock (the card was then used as a sound board). The ripples were spaced in such a way that when you pulled your thumbnail over the ridges, the sound encoded into the ripples could be heard. One card was "Thank you", another was "Happy Birthday" or some such. An amusing concept, never actually saw a card like that given or received.

If it still won't get loud enough, it's probably broken. - Steve Conner
    If the thing works, stop fixing it. - Enzo
    We need more chaos in music, in art... I'm here to make it. - Justin Thomas

Thumbs Up/Down
    Back to the Blues Music.
    I ran across this one, a while back.
    Alvin Lee, "Slow Blues in C"
    I dig his Tone!
    RIP Alvin!

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    Heard this on Deep Tracks Sirius Cable.
    Years ago I had the album on Vinyl, and forgot how good it was.
    Blind Faith, "Sleeping in the Ground"

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down

Great slow blues with Mike Bloomfield (1968)

Watch ""Mother Earth" with Mike Bloomfield on guitar
    by Mother Earth w/ good audio quality" on YouTube
    best.slow.blues.ever!

https://youtu.be/0ADKCMDNT5Q

Steve A.

Thumbs Up/Down

Another slow blues from Mike Bloomfield...

Watch "Two Jews Blues - Blues For Barry And....." on YouTube
    Mike Bloomfield's 10 minute slow blues "trumps" the 6 minute "Really" on SuperSession because unlike Brill Building songwriter Al Kooper Barry Goldberg was an organist from Chicago who could really play the blues...

https://youtu.be/i0GMVtGww-Y

I bought this album by Barry Goldberg back in1969 because it featured Harvey Mandel on several tracks... it did not mention Mike Bloomfield at all although the cover photo featured a microphone (AKA mike) very prominently.

The album had one song with a guy I had never heard of before on dobro... Duane Allman. The way he played I imagined him to be a grizzled old timer from Nashville. When the first Allman Brothers album came out in November I jumped on it... "I know that guy!"

Steve A.

Thumbs Up/Down

Mike Bloomfield's tribute to Jimi Hendrix

Listen to "Mike Bloomfield ~ ''Jimi The Fox'' A Tribute To Jimi Hendrix 1969" on YouTube

https://youtu.be/82cJXQKsxlw

Another killer track from "Two Jews Blues" this was one of the few non-blues songs Mike recorded in the late 60's (although everything he touched back then had some blues in it.)

BTW this is the long version of the song with an extended outro from a vinyl rip... when reissued on CD they chopped off the tail end of the song.

Steve A.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve A. View Post
    Watch ""Mother Earth" with Mike Bloomfield on guitar
    by Mother Earth w/ good audio quality" on YouTube
    best.slow.blues.ever!

https://youtu.be/0ADKCMDNT5Q

Steve A.
    Great song!
    Great guitar.
    The Singer Tracey Nelson has great PIPES!

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thumbs Up/Down
    I may have posted this before, if so we need a refresher!
    Mike, Al, & Johnny! These guys could really play the BLUES!
    "It's My Own Fault"

Keep Rockin! B_T
    Terry

Thread Information