Supplier Price Differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplier Price Differences

I was looking at the Addiction-FX website, and adding it up - the price for a Strat pickup kit (Black bobbin, screws and springs, and six poles) came to about $7.19. Stew-Macs is over $12... Is there any reason I should pick one supplier over the other? Are the parts all the same from one place to another? I mean - that's a 5$ difference! Plus A-FX has AlNiCo-4 poles, which I really havent seen anywhere else. What supplier do most of you guys use??? Has anyone had a bad experience with A-FX or do they seem like good people? Thank you.

-Rob

Originally posted by rhgwynn View Post
    I was looking at the Addiction-FX website, and adding it up - the price for a Strat pickup kit (Black bobbin, screws and springs, and six poles) came to about $7.19. Stew-Macs is over $12... Is there any reason I should pick one supplier over the other? Are the parts all the same from one place to another? I mean - that's a 5$ difference! Plus A-FX has AlNiCo-4 poles, which I really havent seen anywhere else. What supplier do most of you guys use??? Has anyone had a bad experience with A-FX or do they seem like good people? Thank you.
    -Rob
    Welcome Rob:
    You probably won't beat the prices you got from AFX.
    Sometimes it takes a while to get your parts from them.
    Don't know if the AFX flatwork comes with the Eyelets installed or not.
    Most of us have used their magnets.
    I buy most of my Parts from Mojo.
    Mojo ships same, or next day.
    I try to keep the major suppliers listed in the resources thread, I think you have already been there.
    Haven't tried any of the A4s, I use A5s, and some A2s on strat Coils.
    Good Luck,
    Terry
    Last edited by big_teee; 01-27-2013, 02:07 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

I did look at mojotone; I found their website to be extremely haphazard, confusing, and disorganized. So much clutter; maybe I can get them give me free parts if I fix it for them.....LOL. Really though; they have got to do something about that.

-R

Comment

[QUOTE=rhgwynn;288551]I did look at mojotone; I found their website to be extremely haphazard, confusing, and disorganized. So much clutter; maybe I can get them give me free parts if I fix it for them.....LOL. Really though; they have got to do something about that.
        -R[/QUOTE
        Website or no, they are the premier place to buy most pickup parts.
        They backup what they sell.
        I guess I'm used to the site.
        Their site is easy compared to mouser!
        Last edited by big_teee; 01-26-2013, 10:32 PM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I did look at mojotone; I found their website to be extremely haphazard, confusing, and disorganized. So much clutter; maybe I can get them give me free parts if I fix it for them.....LOL. Really though; they have got to do something about that.

-R
          not quite sure why you would be feeling that way about mojo i find it very easy if you do it by pickup part from this link Guitar Pickup Part by Type - Mojotone.com
          Thanks, Nathan.

Comment

I buy parts from Mojo, StewMac and AFX. I have built a great little relationship with Dennis and Hannah over at AFX. They usually ship my orders right out...it may be something that they have improved on being that it seemed to be the gripe of a lot of people. I know when they are running eBay auctions, they do take slightly longer to ship. I order direct from them to help Dennis save on the eBay fee's and he in turn takes good care of me. His fiber flatwork seems to work the best for me. The eyelets are installed, but I give them an extra once over with a setter to get them countersunk. The rod magnets seem to be the best fit in their flatwork also...nice and snug. I have used his Alnico 4 rod magnets and I have had HUGE success making Telecaster bridge pickups with them.

Mojo has been great as well. I have an issue with the fiber flatwork being covered with the gunk from the laser cutting process. I have to wash all of my parts with soap and water and sometimes it is not that easy to come off. So far, they have been top notch.

StewMac is, well...StewMac. They are the the one stop shop for the instrument craftsman. It seems that as their prices keep going up, the quality of a lot of their items go down...if you read the reviews of some of the expensive tools the have developed and sell, there are some pretty strong reports of cheap quality being sold at inflated prices. The pickup flatwork is run of the mill...the Tele bridge flatwork is a great bargin for the flatwork and the copper plated elevator plate for just over $4.00 bucks. All of the flatwork seems to have the holes for the rod magnets cut just to size, so the magnet slips right it. That doesn't work for me. I glue and lacquer all of my assembled bobbins, but there is still to much slop with risk of the magnets slipping out of place at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by RCI Guitars View Post
              I buy parts from Mojo, StewMac and AFX. I have built a great little relationship with Dennis and Hannah over at AFX. They usually ship my orders right out...it may be something that they have improved on being that it seemed to be the gripe of a lot of people. I know when they are running eBay auctions, they do take slightly longer to ship. I order direct from them to help Dennis save on the eBay fee's and he in turn takes good care of me. His fiber flatwork seems to work the best for me. The eyelets are installed, but I give them an extra once over with a setter to get them countersunk. The rod magnets seem to be the best fit in their flatwork also...nice and snug. I have used his Alnico 4 rod magnets and I have had HUGE success making Telecaster bridge pickups with them.

Mojo has been great as well. I have an issue with the fiber flatwork being covered with the gunk from the laser cutting process. I have to wash all of my parts with soap and water and sometimes it is not that easy to come off. So far, they have been top notch.

StewMac is, well...StewMac. They are the the one stop shop for the instrument craftsman. It seems that as their prices keep going up, the quality of a lot of their items go down...if you read the reviews of some of the expensive tools the have developed and sell, there are some pretty strong reports of cheap quality being sold at inflated prices. The pickup flatwork is run of the mill...the Tele bridge flatwork is a great bargin for the flatwork and the copper plated elevator plate for just over $4.00 bucks. All of the flatwork seems to have the holes for the rod magnets cut just to size, so the magnet slips right it. That doesn't work for me. I glue and lacquer all of my assembled bobbins, but there is still to much slop with risk of the magnets slipping out of place at some point.
              Thanks for the input.
              Mojo still gets my vote.
              I like Mojo, because when I order, if I need other parts, like pick guards, tubes, etc., it is a one stop shop.
              If you are signed up as a dealer, you get the mojo discount.
              Never saw any big deal with the cleaning the fiber.
              I just use a damp cloth, no soap.
              StewMac has some great products, but they are just too dang expensive.
              StewMac stuff, IMO especially the pickup winding stuff, seems more in the hobby grade, not commercial.
              T
              Terry

Comment

GREAT replies; thanks so much for the input!

-Rob

Comment

GREAT replies; thanks so much for the input!

-Rob
                  I enjoyed it too.
                  If you need wire, a lot of us buy from Remington.
                  Magnet Wire
                  I use the 42, 43, 44 SPN, general purpose.
                  I like the 42HPN for Strat Single coils.
                  Good Luck,
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

-R
                    Really? I don't find it that way at all:

Guitar Pickup Part by Type - Mojotone.com

Everything is listed there on the left. Just bookmark that page.

Here's another wire provider:

http://stores.ebay.com/BAE-MAGNET-WIRE
                    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by RCI Guitars View Post
                      I have an issue with the fiber flatwork being covered with the gunk from the laser cutting process. I have to wash all of my parts with soap and water and sometimes it is not that easy to come off.
                      I use isopropyl alcohol. Takes it right off. It's probably not a good idea to put water on the flatwork, because it absorbs water.
                      It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                      www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
                      X