Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DOD replacement pot 100KW taper pot for a GFX stereo chorus D shaft (Any sources) ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOD replacement pot 100KW taper pot for a GFX stereo chorus D shaft (Any sources) ?

I have a DOD GFX 64 stereo chorus pedal with a broken level pot, it is a d shaft 16mm I pulled it out a it has a "w" designation, 100KW to be exact with long right angle leads as it is a pc mount. Can anyone explain what the w taper is or does it mean the style ? Seems to be a common pot for DOD. Any known suppliers or do I need to contact Harmon for a replacement. From the searching Ive done seems to be I could use a 100k linear and solder some leads to it to make it fit, which would be a nice fast cheap fix. Any input ???? out there

When ever you have some sort of blend/balance control, or a cut/boost EQ circuit, you want the same perceptible change on each side of the middle point of the pot's rotation. A true linear (aka 'b' taper) pot will do that, but the change on each side of the midpoint will not sound linear to the ear/brain, simply because of how auditory perception works. A 'w' taper pot attempts to solve that by have symmetrically logarithmic tapers in each direction from the midpoint. So, going clockwise from the midpoint, the change is logarithmic, and going counter-clockwise from the midpoint, the change is logarithmic in that direction too.

In common parlance, this would be a log/anti-log pot. I gather it is used on the Ice Box to got from all (or mostly) wet to all (or mostly dry), with a textbook chorus sound in the middle.

You can probably score a 100KW from a variety of sources other than Harmon, but whether they will fit the allotted space is a whole other matter. Certainly you can start with Mouser and Digikey, before moving on to other distributors.

Or if the wet/dry balance is something you don't monkey with very much, you can probably get by with a 100k linear, where your choices should be plentiful and cheap.

Comment

Working...
    X