Gold foil source for pickup repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gold foil source for pickup repair?

I am trying to find a source for the "gold foil" used in old teisco pickups. any ideas?

Thanks

Originally posted by eb100 View Post
    I am trying to find a source for the "gold foil" used in old teisco pickups. any ideas?

Thanks
    Try a stain glass shop. Haven't ever asked about gold foil, but copper foil peel and stick I can get a 1ft x 1ft sheet for 5 bucks. lined 3 guitar cavities with it.

Thanks,
    nosaj
    soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

You could electroplate gold onto the copper foil. It seems like you should be able to find gold plated tin or copper foil on Thomas.net.

Comment

Originally posted by David King View Post
        You could electroplate gold onto the copper foil. It seems like you should be able to find gold plated tin or copper foil on Thomas.net.
        this is more like a textured or stamped metal of some sort. it is referred to as "gold foil" and is gold in color but not a thin film like you would think of as foil.

Comment

eb100,

I'm not sure what gauge foil it is...but I have seen gold and silver foil at a few craft stores (AC Moore, Michale's, etc.) Not sure of the application or if it will work...worth a shot I guess.

Comment

Try searching for "patterned brass".
            This place pops up:
            http://www.pmc123.com/categories/Bra.../Brass-Plates/
            It's brass so you can be sure it will ding your treble a little but it sure looks cool. I'd think the copper would be worse.

Comment

This place pops up:
              It's brass so you can be sure it will ding your treble a little but it sure looks cool. I'd think the copper would be worse.
              yea this looks like it will work. thanks for the lead....

Comment

Thanks David that looks like the stuff, thanks for the lead.

Pat

Comment

This place pops up:
                  Any idea how thick that is? I don't see a thickness listed anywhere. They say "made of hardened brass" so it sounds thick. Might be meant for use with embossing foil.

You can get thin brass foil, and rub it on top of that to pick up the pattern.

I use thin copper foil (I think it's 40 gauge?), to shield pickups, and it doesn't affect the tone. It's thicker than the copper tape, and thick enough to emboss.

I get it from an art supply store.
                  It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                  www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

I've never found any luck tracking down the origional material but as I wasn't looking at a total clone I started with an anodised mesh but then changed to a materail tape which can be found in haberdashery stores amongst the braidings used for edging clothing. I;ve not taken any pics of my gold ones but here is a silver one to show the affect.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Nice! I like the way those turned out. I really appreciate all the help. I knew there had to be something out there that would work. lots of great ideas and avenues to search... I'll try and post a pick once I get it fixed. Thanks again all...

Comment

Working...
                      X