Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fender pro (pro tube) reverb

greetings all

1st post. TONS of great info and expertise on this forum. just got back into electric guitar after 35 years of acoustic only.

picked up a mint pro tube reverb (c. 2001) and am having trouble finding much info on it.

this is not to be confused with the pro reverb re-issue and i was trolling around looking for any history or insight (or links) as to which platform it was designed from or its design philosophy. it is loaded with practical features...not bells and whistles. for the last couple of months i have plugged directly into this amp just to get a feel of its inherent tone and versatility.

btw - quite the sweet tone on this thing. glassy clean channel and fabulous overdrive. some say the overdrive sucks. to each his own. it took me a while to dial in the tone i was looking for and now i've found the promised land. i keep the gain low to middle and drive up my seymour duncans mini humbuckers to get clean crunch and sustain. it has a 1/4 power switch (i use this all the time...down to 12.5 watts). effects loop. reverb and presence serve both channels. channel switching. external bias pots. 4 function footswitch. kinda noisy at times but i'm gonna get filter caps and such changed out.

can anyone recommend any other service/upgrades on an amp of this lineage?

thanks you all so much

onetracker

ask Fromel to make a kit up for your amp.
    Include all the filter caps in the kit.
    Fromel Electronics

Comment

Wait, does it really need recapping if it was made in 2001? That's not really all that old. Are you sure the noise is the fault of the amp, and not just hum coming from your guitar pickups? Also, quite a few amps will hum when the reverb is turned up.
      "Enzo, I see that you replied parasitic oscillations. Is that a hypothesis? Or is that your amazing metal band I should check out?"

Comment

thanks for the responses

well the noise comes and goes and is not obtrusive. i'm gonna be swapping out all my ac outlets soon (its an old house) and i'll go from there. i just thought i'd take it to the local amp guru and have it looked over and upgrade any components that might be worth changing or any simple mods that are worth the effort.

what i'm searching for is a resource on the 'pro-tube' series. there is so little on this amp. i was wondering what platform it was designed from, or was it designed from scratch. i'm guessing there's not all that many out there. i really love this amp and i'm in the process of building a 2x12 with vintage altecs so i'll be making a racket with that.

btw i checked out fromel. cool site.

onetracker

Comment

Well the Fender 'Pro Tube' is a series of amplifers.
          So you have the Fender Pro Tube Pro Reverb.
          Here is a link on the amp.
          You could also Google "Fender Pro Tube Pro Reverb".

How old is my vintage amplifier? | Ampwares

Comment

Pro Reverb (Pro Tube) Service manual attached below.

Scroll down to the schematics pages, and read all the small print items strewn about. They will tell you a lot about the heritage of the amp. This a a basic Fender amp through and through, they all have a family resemblance inside. As a Pro Tube model it has some nice features like channel switching and other things. Note this board set is found in several models.
            Attached Files
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

I don't know where that Ampwares link came from.
              (It is a cool link though)
              This is the one I was trying to post.
              Link: Fender Pro Tube Reverb | Ampwares

Comment

Enzo can you please repost this schematic it doesn't seem to wanna open. Thanks!

Comment

Try this:
                  Attached Files
                  Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Got it thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X