Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a source for pole pieces in odd lengths

Hey guys, it's been a while.

We're looking for steel pole pieces in somewhat odd lengths.

3/16" diameter by 3/8", 1/2" and 9/16".

There's a shop down the street with a screw machine that could do them but the quantities are on the high side. I'd like to keep my order quantities down to 500-1000 of each length.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Sheldon, welcome back!

Threaded pole pieces? If not, just cut them off a steel rod. I use an abrasive cut off saw for that, and then a belt sander to clean up the ends.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Thanks David. 1000 pieces would be a lot of sparks in a wood shop. Maybe a dry cutting saw?

Comment

Hey Sheldon;

What are you doing over here? In the short term, I can make up small batches for you.

The real machine you want for making these parts is a small horizontal milling machine. Have you seen my little Barker mill? It sits on a bench, weighs about 120 lbs, cost me $400. They come up for sale regularly for $400-$800. You fit it up with a slotting saw blade (I use one 0.020" wide x 3" dia) and a vise with a good stop. It will saw off the rod stock smooth and square, to a length repeatable to +/- 0.002". Quietly, no sparks, not much deburring needed. About two seconds per part to do the cut. These small horizontal mills like the Barker usually come fitted with levers on all three axis, but any of the three axes can be converted to micrometer dials & leadscrews. I keep mine set up as a little cutoff saw, just for sawing accurate slugs of brass, aluminum, steel and stainless. It saves me a lot of lathe time.

You know where to reach me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
          It will saw off the rod stock smooth and square, to a length repeatable to +/- 0.002". Quietly, no sparks, not much deburring needed. About two seconds per part to do the cut.
          Oh, I think I need one of these!
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

Comment

Here's an example of a Barker on ebay right now: Barker Model PM Mill USA Made Table Top Horizontal Milling Machine | eBay

That's what they look like. Barker mills are made here in the US, and the design has barely changed since the 1950's. They are still in production; a brand new one costs about $2500. There are about six of them listed on ebay right now, ranging from $650 to $1950. Keep watching on ebay and CL. I paid $400 for mine about 8 years ago.

The Barkers are small, but they aren't hobbyist toys. They are made to be set up in a factory for continuous production of small parts. A neat modular machine.

Comment

Hi Bruce, thanks for that. I forgot about the Barker. That would be the ticket. It looks like it wouldn't take up too much space either.

OT Last time I was interested in a horizontal mill was for headstocks. Ended up finishing the project we'd started with a hacked thickness planer. Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1499.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	828033

Comment

Here's my Barker, on the corner of a bench of drill presses. I have it set up with the X and Y axes locked. The big lever is the Z axis, and it pulls the head up and down. That's a small vise mounted on the table with some custom aluminum jaws and a sliding adjustable end stop. I made up the extended arbor for the spindle, so that I can cut slugs up to 2" long. The cutting blade is a Slotting Saw, 0.020" thick x 3" dia. It will cut aluminum, brass, steel & 303/304 stainless. I replace them maybe once a year. I've cut many thousands of slugs on this little machine. I mostly use it for making aluminum and brass truss rod parts. It's faster to saw the slugs off to length, and then pop them in the turret lathe for drilling and turning. Old school, but still efficient.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's my Barker, on the corner of a bench of drill presses.
                  I'd make a simple guard for that. It will catch any stray clothing and pull the victim in. The exposed sawblade hungers for raw meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gwinn View Post
                    The exposed sawblade hungers for raw meat.
                    I had one chase me around the shop once!
                    Last edited by David Schwab; 02-11-2013, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                      I had one chase me around the shop ounce!
                      Freudian slip? Took an ounce out of you did it?

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
                        Freudian slip? Took an ounce out of you did it?
                        Sloppy typing + auto correct + not paying attention!

Comment

That's why I tend to like heavy machines. They don't run as fast. But they can hurt more if they catch you.

Comment

That's why I tend to like heavy machines. They don't run as fast. But they can hurt more if they catch you.
                            And they do it more slowly, for increased pleasure.

Comment

Working...
                            X