Soldering station wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by km6xz View Post
    Here is a PDF of a nice schematic and has additional info on them created by a ham radio operator:
    http://www.n0ss.net/hakko_936_schem-pcb_&_mod_v1r7.pdf
    Thanks for the schematic. It's interesting, in his write-up he details adding an "always-on" LED for power indication. I did a similar mod to mine, years ago. Too many times I would glance up and catch it when the heat light had flashed off, and not be able to tell whether it was on or off!

Comment

Originally posted by bkahuna View Post
      Thanks for the schematic. It's interesting, in his write-up he details adding an "always-on" LED for power indication. I did a similar mod to mine, years ago. Too many times I would glance up and catch it when the heat light had flashed off, and not be able to tell whether it was on or off!
      I did that right after i got mine 10 years ago. (put a on light in it) I never understood how they could overlook such a important thing. It's like buying a car with no lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
        big_teee,
        Just tossing out some ideas here.
        I use a Weller TC-202 with a 201 iron. I picked it out of a junk pile about 15 years ago and it was beat up looking then. It just keeps on working for me needing only tip replacement now and then. There is an example at https://www.bmius.com/p-31672-weller...ring-iron.aspx
        Maybe the Weller quality was better back when the 202 was in production.
        Tom
        Thanks Tom!
        BMI, had the exact WTCPT station I was looking for.
        It looked in very good Condition.
        They were asking $50 for it, I bought it for $40 plus shipping.
        Beats Paying $130 + for it!
        Like I said I have 20 or so tips to fit that type of station.
        I am looking forward to getting it maybe next week.
        Thanks,
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

On the WTCPT:
          Used them for over 25years (and some were probably 20 years old when I started using them). Decent solder station and parts still available to keep them running but beware one thing: speaker magnets. If the iron gets sucked onto a speaker magnet (or likely any strong magnet) it will probably start to overheat and you will need to replace the temperature switch assembly. The temp control on those units is really pretty clever, but does rely on a fairly fine-tuned magnetic relationship between the tip and the switch.

Just an FYI...

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Black View Post
            On the WTCPT:
            Used them for over 25years (and some were probably 20 years old when I started using them). Decent solder station and parts still available to keep them running but beware one thing: speaker magnets. If the iron gets sucked onto a speaker magnet (or likely any strong magnet) it will probably start to overheat and you will need to replace the temperature switch assembly. The temp control on those units is really pretty clever, but does rely on a fairly fine-tuned magnetic relationship between the tip and the switch.

Just an FYI...
            Thanks for that.
            I do soldering on Pickups all the time.
            Most of the time without the magnets.
            At one end of the pickup on final assembly, I solder the lead wires, usually with the magnet in place.
            My New, Used Soldering station I purchased from BMI Surplus, is on its way to Arkansas, last tracked in CT.
            T
            "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
            Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Black View Post
              On the WTCPT:

Just an FYI...
              I've been using the WTCPT for about 6 years with no issues other than this exact problem. I now use a cheapy 45W pencil to do speaker stuff, otherwise, the WTCPT works really well for most everything. The tips seem to last a really long time compared to other stuff I've used... though then again I don't use lead-free solder or wet sponges for cleaning. Anyway, I had a secondhand Hakko prior to it that I didn't like as much. I like that the Weller station doesn't need calibration or really anything from me, it just works. Takes only about 20 seconds to heat up, too.

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
                BMI, had the exact WTCPT station I was looking for.
                It looked in very good Condition.
                They were asking $50 for it, I bought it for $40 plus shipping.
                Beats Paying $130 + for it!
                Like I said I have 20 or so tips to fit that type of station.
                I am looking forward to getting it maybe next week.
                Thanks,
                T
                I got the iron today!
                Kudo's to BMI. https://www.bmius.com/nsearch.aspx?keywords=soldering
                It looks like it is about 90-95% of new condition.
                It was probably a plant closing or sell off or something like that.
                I had all the pieces, including a soldering iron tip, that looked new.
                The only thing missing was the sponge.
                So if I do have the overheating problem what will be the symptom.
                Just real hot, or what?
                Thanks,
                T
                Terry

Comment

So if I do have the overheating problem what will be the symptom.
                  Just real hot, or what?
                  The way it works is that there's a magnet that pulls the heater contacts closed. When a certain temp is reached (the tip magnet's Curie point), the magnet "unsticks" and shuts off the heat. So it's a self-stabilizing arrangement. When you get it on a speaker magnet (or any other really big magnet), the contacts will stick in the "on" position, and the tip will get so hot it will glow red, and you won't hear the characteristic click of it turning on and off. At that point, you need a new switch assembly, not just a new tip.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesmafyew View Post
                    The way it works is that there's a magnet that pulls the heater contacts closed. When a certain temp is reached (the tip magnet's Curie point), the magnet "unsticks" and shuts off the heat. So it's a self-stabilizing arrangement. When you get it on a speaker magnet (or any other really big magnet), the contacts will stick in the "on" position, and the tip will get so hot it will glow red, and you won't hear the characteristic click of it turning on and off. At that point, you need a new switch assembly, not just a new tip.
                    Thanks for the info.
                    Like I said I have a bunch of tips that were from my previous job.
                    I have some tips that fit the iron, without the magnetic sensor on the bottom, that usually has the 7, or 8 on it.
                    They are hollow at the bottom.
                    Are those for another brand of iron, or will those work at full heat?
                    Thanks,
                    Terry
                    Terry

Comment

Originally posted by jamesmafyew View Post
                      When you get it on a speaker magnet (or any other really big magnet), the contacts will stick in the "on" position,...
                      If this is the case, could it be degaussed or demagnetized to be fixed?

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                        I have some tips that fit the iron, without the magnetic sensor on the bottom, that usually has the 7, or 8 on it.
                        Thanks,
                        Terry
                        I'm pretty sure you can only use the 600/700/800F temperature control tips with the magnet on the shank.

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
                        If this is the case, could it be degaussed or demagnetized to be fixed?
                        Possibly. When it happened to me, it seemed several components had been deformed by the overheating. There was too much friction to tell whether just de/re-magnetizing the switch assembly would have fixed it. It was a lot quicker to just replace the switch assembly.

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                          Thanks,
                          Terry
                          The hollow ones are most likely for the WES51 and WESD51 electronically-controlled adjustable heat stations, and won't work at all on the WTCPT (unless the temp-switch is bad and they glow red as well...).

Comment

I got the used WTCPT, the end of last week.
                            It works great.
                            A big Thumbs up to BMI.
                            It heats up quick, plenty of heat, but regulates well.
                            A great improvement to my pickup making bench.
                            Later,
                            T
                            Terry

Comment

Working...
                            X