Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resistor Help... EZ Question...

Im needing to replace a the resistor pictired below. I have 2 questions:

1) Can you verify that this is a 470 ohm 2watt 10% resistance. (It is yellow, purple, brown silver).
    2) can someone point me to a place I an buy these online (preferrably somewhere that i dont have to worry about my credit card getting hacked...).

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	867143

The resistor is a 470 ohm, but based on the size it looks like a 1 watt carbon composition. Ordering a single resistor will probably not be very cost effective as the shipping will cost far more than the resistor.

Why does it need to be replaced?

Comment

Thanks for the info! I will probably buy a 10 pack to be more cost effective. Its not this one thats bad. The bad one is beyond recognition.

Comment

Screen resistor?

Comment

MusicMan ?
          Peavey hybrid power amp?
          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
            MusicMan ?
            Peavey hybrid power amp?
            Not sure what the last 2 responses are referring to.

For size comparisons, that resistor is attached to a 6L6 power tube socket. Its almost as long as a quarter as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Jtwusmc View Post

For size comparisons, that resistor is attached to a 6L6 power tube socket. Its almost as long as a quarter as well.
              Which 6L6 pin?
              It appears as if it is coming off of the plate pin (pin 3) & going to the screen pin (pin 4).
              It sounds like you had a tube go bad & it took out the screen resistor.
              470 ohm 1 watt is fine.
              I would go with 'flame proof'.
              Older amps can fool you with the resistor sizes.
              They where relatively huge compared to modern resistors.

Comment

They are not responses but questions: what is your "mystery amplifier"?
                Maybe we are all guessing wildly while it might be a known amplifier.
                Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Oh, sorry! Its a music man 112 RD 100w. Sorry for not specifying. I picked it up broken and am repairing and restoring it.

FYI, the resistor goes from pin 4 to 6.

Comment

Pin 4 says it is indeed the screen resistor.
                    Pin 6 on a 6L6 is not used internally so they used that socket lug for an attachment point.

Comment

Before you order resistors you should see if you need any other parts so you can order them all together. As Enzo mentioned in the other post, you may need drive transistors:
                      http://music-electronics-forum.com/t32207/
                      That amp has 4 power tubes but you can run it with 3 for testing. Remove the tube that had the broken pin and see what other parts you need.
                      Originally posted by Enzo
                      I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

This amp has 2 piwer tubes. The other post is me also. Good ifea on waiting for the parts though. Any good parts dealers onthis site with trust worthy payment options?

Comment

*Any* of the big ones, such as Mouser, Digikey and a ton others.
                          Or you can try your local Radio Shack.
                          No big deal buying a couple resistors.
                          Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Working...
                          X