Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

power transformer: okay to use as center tap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• power transformer: okay to use as center tap?

I want to try running the B+ separately from the heaters as an experiment and looking through potential filament transformer purchases, I found a 10A with the secondary described as "0-3.15V5V-6.3V". Can I use the 3.15V tap as a center tap, and run the "0-3.15-6.3V" as "3.15-0-3.15V"? Thanks.

Originally posted by dai h. View Post
    Can I use the 3.15V tap as a center tap, and run the "0-3.15-6.3V" as "3.15-0-3.15V"? Thanks.
    That should work. It sounds like the transformer was intended as a "universal" replacement, so the voltages were spec'd with a 0V reference on the terminal/lead common to the 5V and 6.3V taps.

RE

Comment

thanks Rick! FWIW, the primary is "90V-100V-110V", so it looks like I can get some adjustment which I might need since it will be for a 50W(and maybe a 100W at another time, hence the 10A choice).

Comment

Originally posted by dai h. View Post
        I want to try running the B+ separately from the heaters as an experiment and looking through potential filament transformer purchases, I found a 10A with the secondary described as "0-3.15V5V-6.3V". Can I use the 3.15V tap as a center tap, and run the "0-3.15-6.3V" as "3.15-0-3.15V"? Thanks.
        GO FOR IT.

Comment

thanks mykey.

Comment

Working...
          X