bf Bassman project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bf Bassman project

Hello & howdy, I just joined this forum a few days ago and this is my first post. Some of you might remember me as JBelshe from alt.guitar.amps about 7 or 8 years ago. I got a lot of good technical info there, but that place just got too toxic for me. I looked at it recently and it seems to have only gotten worse. Having lurked here for a few days, I can definitely say I prefer the polite discourse on this forum.

Anyway...

My brain hurts! I've immersed myself in this for several days now, trying to design a new circuit for my Bassman.

It's been years since I thought about this stuff and there's a pretty steep learning curve right at first.

See, I built an amp a few years ago. I started with two old Fenders, a Bassman 135 that had been through a house fire, and a The Twin which had been through a flood. I completely disassembled both amps, cleaned and inspected the parts and salvaged what I could, bead blasted the chassis, then used components from both to build one amp that I called the FireWater. It was basically an AB763 Twin Reverb, but without the Normal channel and no vibrato, but with a presence control and a two knob reverb (added dwell control). Fewer tubes meant more juice for the tubes that were there. Keystone turrets on G-10 with nylon standoffs and neoprene grommets for isolation. I ran it through a 1969 Dual Showman 2x15 cab loaded with Altec Lansing 421-As. It was loud as hell and sounded like a classic Fender, only much beefier. I could never get it to break up, either. Turning it up only made it sound fatter and fatter. At the time I was plugged into the Texas music scene, so I took it on the road with the band and had lots of great professional musicians play through it and they all gave it rave reviews. I wish I had pictures of that amp...

Hats off to Ace Pepper of Thundertweak for answering a lot of stupid questions for me during that build! I lived about a mile away from him at the time, he's good people.

Flushed with success, I gutted my 1967 Fender Bassman Amp that I'd had since 1986. When I first started getting into working on amplifiers I looked inside this one and corrected some mistakes they'd made at the factory like that kooky AB165 bias scheme, then made some improvements on top of that like replacing the nasty brown caps with green Xicons, retubed it with Ruby STR-7025s and Phillips 6L6WGBs. It sounded incredible! Well, even after the corrections I'd made there were still some problems. It'd make some odd buzzes and pops, which usually went away after I pounded on it a few times, but I wanted to rebuild it to the standards of the FireWater amp, so I snipped out the circuit board.

I have a few improvements in mind for this one, one of which is an easily accessed bias point and control:

I had been building the FireWater amp for a certain steel guitar player whose name isn't worth mentioning. This guy had been a good friend of mine for several years at that point... or so I thought. He never paid me for the work, just walked into my house when he knew I'd be out of town, said hi to my roommate and walked out with the amp -- then left the country. That kind of soured me on the whole experience.

Then a lot of drama happened which I'll fast forward over, but suffice it to say that some health issues forced me to move back to the old home place in Oklahoma. The last couple of years have been pretty tough, but I'm on the mend and I've gotten my shop (at least somewhat) set up again and I'm trying to get back on track. Maybe I can get this amp together and make it rock, then look ahead to the next one.

My tentative plan is to make the Bass channel like the the Normal channel on a blackface AB763 circuit, and the Normal channel like the AB165 circuit. The power section will be from the AA864 circuit. I've also considered leaving the Bass channel out entirely and just making it a one channel amp (that's the only one I ever used, anyway). You guys have any ideas on this? I welcome any input...

I'm also doing something different with this one. I need some sort of grid to lay out the circuit on, and in the past I'd used a square grid, but I was in the Goodwill Store one day and had a brainwave: I bought an old Lite Brite for a buck and pulled the front grill off (you know, where you stick the colored pegs).

Today I scanned this grill, played around with the image, et voila!

Feel free to print that off and use it if you like. The honeycomb allows a more efficient use of space, which might be an issue if you're working on something pretty tight...

Thanks in advance for any advice you guys want to throw my way!

Justin Belshe
    Last edited by justinbelshe; 06-18-2007, 04:43 AM. Reason: added link for Thundertweak

I've got a 67 Bassman too, I plan on digging into it one of these days. It needs a three prong cord and new caps, at the minimum. I've already got the caps for it, what I don't have at the moment is time to work on it.

I've also got a customer with a Bassman headed this way this week, the owner of which wants to do something with the Bass channel. He loves the Normal channel and doesn't want to change it at all, but he doesn't use the Bass channel, so he wants to do something different with it. Not sure just what he wants to do, but since there is an unused triode available we might do a 5F6A/JTM45 circuit for that channel. I'll talk it over with him when he gets here and based on that we'll go from there. But that is an option.

Comment

Awesome, let me know what you come up with...

Comment

Hey Justin,
        Long time no hear! Great to hear from you and stoked that you're back into the amp thang!

I've done a couple Bassmans for folks where I re-did the "bass" channel as a JTM45-type, changed the "deep" switch for a dpdt switch, wired that as a "hot switch" (see http://hoffmanamps for that one), and replaced one of the inputs with a gain control. Original volume controls stayed in place and became a "master volume" for that channel. So, on the "bass" channel, you have a JTM45 AND a JCM800.

On the "normal" side I just cleaned up stuff and made a AB763-channel. Brought those two channels together with a couple 220k mixer resistors at the PI. Put the PI back to AB763-spec.

This setup has rocked for me! It's like having 3 of the best amps ever (JTM45, JCM800, and AB763) in one head. You can even jack into both channels with an A/B box and have a bitchin' channel switcher. Cooool!

As I said, I've done this mod for other folks, but haven't had my own Bassman to play with. I recently scored a silverface Bassman w/ master volume. I was thinking I'd do the "B-Mod" to it, but then came across a schem for a Laney LH-50. The 2-channel design is much like an AB763 and a JCM800. The input hits the 1st triode, then a tonestack (like a Fender) AND an extra coupling cap that splits the signal to the JCM800-channel. So, in "high-gain" mode, you have a JCM800 with a extra gain stage (that 1st stage from the "Fender" side.) Laney uses a dual pot for the gain control on the high-gain side. The high-gain tone in the Laney is vicious!! VanHalen brown-sound all the way, baby!

I mention all this Laney stuff because one could do the same setup in a Bassman. Both channels are hard-wired in parallel and one or the other is muted with a relay. Simple enough. If you're interested I can post the Laney schem.

You could also mess with the PI values. I tried the 6G-whatever ("brown-face"-Vibrolux) PI in some other amps and it sounds pretty cool. You might try that in a Bassman. Anyway, I hope this gives you some ideas. Lemme know if ya need any help or other ideas ( I got a million of 'em;-)
        Thanx!
        Ace!8-)>
        ThunderTweak Amps
        Ace!8-)>
        Ace Pepper Custom Amps

Comment

UPDATE:

My apologies, the pictures got all out of order because the forum software won't take more than seven images per post, then it decided to drop the ball somewhere between my submitting a post and it actually showing up. If one of the moderators wants to go through and straighten things out, that'd be lovely, otherwise you'll just have to figure it out...

JUNE 20, 2007

I'm still designing the circuit for my amp, but I knew I wanted a new rectifier board.

Here's the old one:

Last edited by justinbelshe; 07-15-2007, 02:41 AM. Reason: disclaimer

Comment

Oolala!

Comment

JULY 11, 2007

Comment

JULY 12, 2007

Tonight I rewired my tube sockets with 18ga solid copper, replacing the cloth covered 22ga from 1967.

Comment

Comment

Comment

I rewired the output jack and did away with the extension speaker output.

Comment

Ahhh, look at it glisten in all it's glorious inky blackness!

Comment

I've come full circle and I'm now back to the blackface Bassman AB165/AA864 hybrid circuit with a few changes to sweeten it up...

Comment

Ace Pepper gave me the idea of using coax cable for the run from the input on each channel to the first gain stage, the sheild being grounded at the input jack only, not at the tube end. I took it a step further and used it for the signal coming off of the tone controls...

I'm using professional microphone cable with the two center conductors tied together. Look, it even says "professional":

Sometime soon I'll make a new filter board. I might move it out of the dog house and over by the PT.

Last edited by justinbelshe; 07-15-2007, 06:13 AM. Reason: grammar and syntax corrections

Comment

Sexy Caps

Thanks for sharing your work on the BF Bassman. I too have rebuilt one of those. I choose to do the AA864 circuit and it turned out beautiful..and rocks like crazy!

Now the question.

I love the dual-stage 25uf caps you are using for bypass caps in the pre-amp. Those are super sexy! Can you please tell me where I can acquire some of those.

I have seen them before in a BF Princeton and wanted them then..do tell please.

Comment

Working...
                              X