Capacitor voltage rating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capacitor voltage rating

Other than size constraints, are there any drawbacks to using higher voltage rated caps in an amplifier?

Are there any benefits?

For instance-

-Using a 25uF/50 volt electrolitic where a 25uF/25v is called for

-Using a .1uF/630v coupling cap where a .1uF/400v or even a .1uF/200v is called for

Thanks!

Originally posted by Don View Post
    Other than size constraints, are there any drawbacks to using higher voltage rated caps in an amplifier?

Are there any benefits?

For instance-

-Using a 25uF/50 volt electrolitic where a 25uF/25v is called for

-Using a .1uF/630v coupling cap where a .1uF/400v or even a .1uF/200v is called for

Thanks!
    No drawbacks except for extra cost but a benefit would be if the voltage takes a spike it could survive but most caps will take a bit more than their rating anyway.
    KB

Comment

There is one other issue. Electrolytic caps should be run in the top half of their voltage rating in general. They slowly un-form and their withstand voltage drifts down to the actual voltage over years. I have a dim memory of needing to run electrolytics which have high ripple currents in the top 20% of their voltage rating for best results. For nonelectrolytic caps, it's exactly as Amp Kat said - whatever you can pay for and fit in the box.
      Amazing!! Who would ever have guessed that someone who villified the evil rich people would begin happily accepting their millions in speaking fees!

Oh, wait! That sounds familiar, somehow.

Comment

I don't bother to even stock 400v film caps along side the 600v ones. I just use all 600v caps. Extra storage drawers cost money too and take up space.

There is no benefit from using over rated parts other than the advantage of not having to order lower rated parts if the higher rated parts are already on hand.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
        X