Wanna trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wanna trade?

I was thinking... A lot of folks here have been through the speaker selection process and ended up with a few (or a lot) of speakers that they haven't used or sold just sitting in boxes. I thought we could all benefit from an organized trade program to save the expense of buying speakers every time one wants to try a different model. Example:

I currently have a pair of Emi 16 ohm Red White and Blue's and a pair of old (but still good) Celestion 16 ohm G12M70's. The RW&B's are supposedly Emi's version of an EV type speaker. The RW&B's sound too boxy to me. I've read that Andy Fuchs really likes them. If you have an amp that is too boomy and fizzy they could be just the thing. The G12M70's are a sort of "love 'em or hate 'em" model. Malcolm and Angus used them for a little while and did some recordings with them. I like the G12M70's with Marshall amps.

I'd like to try an Emi Wizard (8 ohm)

If we had a forum sub category just for trading (things like speakers) I think we could all expand our options and save some money.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Does this just apply to speakers.
    Not in the market for speakers.
    I have all kind of my used Pickups, and some new laying around.
    I have some loaded pickguards also in a drawer.
    I am in the market for a Wah pedal, and would trade some pickups for one.
    The Wah can be working or non working, as long as it has all the hardward required to make it functional.
    Of course the working or non working would effect its value.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

The antiquesradio.com sale forum regulates itself fairly well. Would be really cool to see some items people will drag out for trade or sale as long as everyone realizes the latest ebay price would not be a reasonable price for forum members. They have a nice set of reasonable rules and a good moderator.

nosaj
      soldering stuff that's broken, breaking stuff that works, Yeah!

Comment

Would like to see this in the Lobby, or general forum area.
        A trade section would be great. Can any of you Mods make this happen?
        However it needs to be in a forum where you have to be logged in to see it.
        I have all kinds of stuff setting around I don't use.
        It's all good stuff, but would trade some of it for other good stuff.
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I think the existing Sub Forum "Flea Market" would be correct for posting trade offers. The description under the Flea Market sub-forum title is "Buy, sell, swap, haggle..."
          It's located in Hang Out / Parking Lot / Flea Market.
          Tom

Comment

Um, yeah. I thought we already had the swap area as Tom points out.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Very good then. I never visit the flea market because I don't need to BUY anything. The "market" moniker must have thrown the rest of us off. As I expect it always will. And that would limit the effectiveness considerably.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

It doesn't matter what you label anything, a certain percentage of people will never see it, a certain percentage will ignore it, a certain percentage will use it wrong. Rewriting the header won't change that.

Open up the menu page for this forum, and the third thing on the list is "Schematic requests", yet many new posters go right past that to put schematic requests in some other section. Over at DIYAudio, there is a section for tube amps - hifi amps, and it says right in the header that all Musical Instrument amp threads should be in the Instrument and amp section, yet a steady stream of folks post their guitar amp threads in there anyway. Then we get the guys who post the same thing in three sections "in case we didn't see it over in the other part."

A separate swap section would still be down with the flea market and lobby areas anyway, so someone wanting to trade will scan down as far as guitar amps and look no further. A new member will either take the time to see what all a forum offers or he won;t. If he does, he will find our section we have now. If he is the other kind, he will never see it anyway, regardless of how you describe it.

The whole point of this place is that we have a forum, we have a place where people share thoughts and information, and help one another. Yet most days I get Personal Messages asking me for answers to their questions. They miss the whole point of the place. I explain that if I did all my helping in personal messages, they would never know I existed.

So I don;t know how we could guarantee universal behavior. I was thinking about listing some shop junk I have om here.
                Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Trading never goes over too well in a for sale area.
                  It seems to get over looked.
                  We have a certain Mod that is always wanting to open a new subforum, looks a trade area would be a good candidate!
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Now that I think about is some more, what is a trade anyway? If you have an item you don't need what's the difference between trading it for something else or trading it for money? If you list your blue widget asking for a green thingamajig in trade would you refuse someone who offers a good chuck of cash instead? Seems like the Flea Market is still the best approach. Just offer the item for sale and state that trades and other offers will be considered.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck H View Post
                      If we had a forum sub category just for trading (things like speakers) I think we could all expand our options and save some money.
                      OK, let's try it: Trade Tent
                      -tb

"If you're the only person I irritate with my choice of words today I'll be surprised" Chuck H.

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X