Tension in wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tension in wire

Just got a bunch of stuff for winding and I'm having trouble with my spool of wire. Is there something I should rest it on that swivels? I can't seem to keep the tension down and constantly have to stop the machine and free the wire from the spool by hand.

Originally posted by guitar_guy86219 View Post
    Just got a bunch of stuff for winding and I'm having trouble with my spool of wire. Is there something I should rest it on that swivels? I can't seem to keep the tension down and constantly have to stop the machine and free the wire from the spool by hand.
    Welcome to the forum.

It seems like you are saying that you have the wire come off the spool the way toilet paper comes off the roll with the spool actually rotating? If what I understand is correct, you need to change your setup so the wire comes off the end of the spool and the spool stays stationary. So if you were hand guiding your wind, the spool might be on the floor between your feet and the wire would come up off the end of the spool to your fingers that would provide both tension and guiding the wire laying down on the bobbin. If it is some automated winder, the wire would still come off the end and probably through a guide to a tensioner to a guide to a traverser sort of thing.
    Last edited by kayakerca; 07-09-2013, 12:36 AM.
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Comment

Hi Guitar Guy, and Welcome to the Forum.
      Like Jim, said You want the wire to spool off one end.
      Not sure what your using, or what you know, but Here's a resource that starts at the beginning.
      It's the Manual for Schatten Winder that StewMac sold a while back but it shows the basics of winding.
      http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...s-pu-specs.pdf
      Page 4 shows spooling the wire off the end.
      There are two ways of doing it.
      Either Stood up on the floor and feeding off the top end.
      Or, like some of us do mounting the spool horizontally, and spooling off the end like in the Schatten winder manual on page 4.
      Jump in any time.
      Good Luck,
      Terry
      ** Other Winding Resources and can be found here.
      http://music-electronics-forum.com/t30228/
      Last edited by big_teee; 07-09-2013, 03:46 AM.
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

As the others have said, you don't de-spool it by letting it turn on something. I keep the spool on the floor, or a foot or so above the floor, in front of the winder. The wire spools off the end. I used to do it horizontally with the spool behind me.
        It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
        www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Working...
        X