Yamaha YPG-625 keyboard and MIDI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha YPG-625 keyboard and MIDI

Recently worked on a Yamaha YPG-625s DC jack for a friend, He was asking me about needing a MIDI keyboard and I noticed the Yamaha piano says MIDI on the sticker....

I know nothing about MIDI, nor can I tell much from the user manual or any web searching that I have done.

Can anyone provide me with any info ??

Is this a MIDI keyboard ?? The manual talks about a driver CD but I just don't know anything about any of it.

Thanks, CW

The Yamaha YPG-625 has MIDI capabilities.
    It is not a stand alone Midi keyboard as it can also be used as a standard synthesizer/ keyboard.
    The answer to your question on what is Midi & how does it work is a tall order.
    I would suggest that you do some basic research on Google.
    Here is one: MIDI Basics, Part 1

Comment

Here is link direct from the Midi Manufacturers Association.
      MIDI Tutorials
      It includes the history of Midi, an introduction & the technologies used.

Comment

A keyboard or synthesizer generally makes sound. Consumer items often have speakers built in,a pro synth would not. A pro synth would have audio outputs you feed to an amplifier. If the thing ONLY makes MIDI, and no sounds of its own, we would generally call that a MIDI "Controller."

MIDI is a communication protocol so units can talk to each other. It uses a DIN connector (5-pin 180 degree). If you see MIDI connectors on a unit, then it is MIDI capable. Three flavors: IN, OUT, and THRU. THRU simply sends whatever appears at the IN jack back on out, so you can daisy chain. IN and OUT ought to be self-explanatory. Some few units have only IN or only OUT.

In our shop we used to have a large box for trash. I mounted some MIDI jacks on it. When someone asked, we could tell them, "Garbage in, garbage out."
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks for the links and all the info provided.

Best I can tell this Yamaha does not have MIDI jacks.... only USB.

Comment

According to the Yamaha web site for this product it has USB MIDI for computer interface. As I read that it means the unit makes MIDI signals, but only sends them out the USB, so a computer with a MIDI card in it would be needed to MIDI to other gear. Or some other USB to MIDI device.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Thanks again for the info.

I will do some more checking for him.

Craig W

Comment

Working...
              X