This looks interesting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This looks interesting.

Anybody come across this stuff yet. Processed like mdf it seems but a much denser and stiffer product. Comes in thicknessers from 1/32 to 5/16 in 2 grades "Stiff as a board" sorry about that! and bendable and Iv'e just ordered a couple of sheets so will let you know if it does what it says on the tin.

http://www.weidmann-creative.com/about_maplex.htm

TR has just been appointed the UK distributor for this astonishing material - first shown at the 100% materials exhibition last year. Consisting of only wood fibre, it is compressed with a force equivalent to 15,000 elephants standing on a single sheet !
    The result is a thin non-bending material with the feel of carbon fibre or steel sheet.
    It works perfectly using hand or machine tools and can be laser cut with fantasticly clean, precise results.
    Maplex is the perfect medium for general purpose modelling, lightweight constructional work or 'wood engineering'.
    Like a previous discovery, polymorph, this has the potential to transform conventional ideas about making things.
    The sheet is 1mm thick and supplied in sheet sizes of 500mm x 750mm.
    (The sheet is supplied rough sawn but oversized).

1mm thick seems to be whats available uk wise at the moment but I will laminate if ness.

That looks very interesting. I bet I could use that for all kinds of stuff!
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

There's no US distributor who will supply small quantities at this point - $250 minimum to buy from the manufacturer. They're sending me a sample pack despite my self-description as a cheapskate hobbyist who's unlikely to go through more than 6 square feet in my lifetime.

Comment

Has anybody here tried Millboard. Used in the vintage car industry for Replacement door inner panels and boxing in and also by the bookbinding industry. There is some elephant green stuff on the net but looks grey to me and Elephants def ain't green only grey or pink after alcohol. This comes in different thicknesses and is very cheap.

Comment

Working...
        X