Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dummy Load Help

Hello

I want to build a dummy load unit for amp testing/repair and wanted some opinions/insight on it.

I found a schematic on building a selectable 4/8/16 ohm unit from the aikenamps website:
    http://www.aikenamps.com/DummyLoad.pdf

The resistors used for diagram 1 are Vishay/dale 50w 8-ohm from mouser:
    RH0508R000FC02 Vishay / Dale | Mouser

So what would I build this in? Some sort of metal box that can be used as a heat sink for the resistors? Also what type of wire and connectors should be used?

Has anyone built a similar unit like this?
    Thanks for any info.

Aluminum Hammond brand box would work. Bigger the better. I use larger wattage individual and paralleled resistors myself and just mount them to the back of the workbench. Parts Express has them. I use a rotary switch to select each load.

Comment

I prefer the big ceramic ones that are meant to be in free air. Like T9c, just mount them and hang them somewhere you won't accidentally touch them. That way you don't need to worry about derating inside a closed box or due to device to chassis contact.

--mark

Comment

I used a series of the 2ohm versions 50watters wired in series and switched to get 4ohm,8ohm,16ohm outputs.Screwed the resistors to the leg of my wooden workbench.Output is connected permanently to one channel of my scope.Piece of speaker cable long enough to reach an amp on the bench.Real simple and I think its better not to have the resistors enclosed in anything that will hold heat.Its out of the way and real easily accessable.

Comment

Working...
        X