Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's the purpose of R105 in the Hot Rod Deluxe 2 tone stack?

Thumbs Up/Down
    Received: 0/0
    Given: 0/0
    Well...

Alga has sent me two PM, twice: I’ve replied three times and have completed my PM’s with some indications above.

He hasn’t replied to these various messages and posts that I had wrote for him despite of my busy planning.

I hope that all is right for my interlocutor,. A few words from him would be appreciated…

ANYWAY:

Not yet enough time to write a complete diary about the mods done to my HRD.

I’ll just post below the frequency analysis of this customized amp, miked by a SM57:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HRDstockVSmodVStwin.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	128.3 KB 
ID:	48718

white and green lines = clean channel of the stock model, when I’ve got it in 2010.
    Yellow line = the clean channel of the same amps fed by the same testing signal through the same mic and recorder, nowadays, after the 15 or 20 mods that I’ve kept.
    Red line = a Fender Twin Reverb (65 RI) in the same conditions.

I've played the modified HRD on stage at gig levels more than once : it's still not a Blackface (nor even a Tweed) but at least, I've got rid of the boomy farty bass and peaky high mids in favor of some nice sparkle... FWIW, before possible further explanations if it has any interest for some other musician and IF time permits. :-)

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by freefrog; 05-01-2018 at 07:14 PM.

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by freefrog View Post
    Well...

Alga has sent me two PM, twice: I’ve replied three times and have completed my PM’s with some indications above.

He hasn’t replied to these various messages and posts that I had wrote for him despite of my busy planning.

I hope that all is right for my interlocutor,. A few words from him would be appreciated…

ANYWAY:

I’ll just post below the frequency analysis of this customized amp, miked by a SM57:

white and green lines = clean channel of the stock model, when I’ve got it in 2010.
    Yellow line = the clean channel of the same amps fed by the same testing signal through the same mic and recorder, nowadays, after the 15 or 20 mods that I’ve kept.

I've played the modified HRD on stage at gig levels more than once : it's still not a Blackface (nor even a Tweed) but at least, I've got rid of the boomy farty bass and peaky high mids in favor of some nice sparkle... FWIW, before possible further explanations if it has any interest for some other musician and IF time permits. :-)
    Hello Freefrog

Yes, shame on me I sent you a repeated PM learning how to use the PM on this forum. Sorry for that my friend. I have to say a big THANKS for all your support. I appreciate you replied so fast despite your busy planning. Fortunately and thanks god Im ok.

With your guidance Im pretty sure Ill achieve my goal with this amp (get rid of the overkill high mids on the clean channel) and get closer to a blackface sound type.

Would like to know what do you or others think will be the difference between achieving this by using a EQ pedal in the fx loop of the amp and by using a dedicated and designed network for that?

Best regards and eternally thanks

Thumbs Up/Down
    Quote Originally Posted by freefrog View Post
    Well...

ANYWAY:

Hello Freefrog

Yes, shame on me I sent you a repeated PM learning how to use the PM on this forum. Sorry for that my friend. I have to say a big THANKS for all your support. I appreciate you replied so fast despite your busy planning. Fortunately and thanks god Im ok.

With your guidance Im pretty sure Ill achieve my goal with this amp (get rid of the overkill high mids on the clean channel) and get closer to a blackface sound type.

Would like to know what do you or others think will be the difference between achieving this by using a EQ pedal in the fx loop of the amp and by using a dedicated and designed circuit network for that?

Best regards and eternally thanks

Thumbs Up/Down
    Hi alga,

No worries: I was just wondering if you had encountered a problem, with your amp or with anything else. It's reassuring to know that all is right for you.

Taking your time to reply is/was a good idea IMHO: that's what I should do too... instead of thinking out loud in too long posts, that I must correct once my memories refreshed. :-))

An EQ in the loop is certainly a good alternative solution, avoiding repeated mod sessions as well as the related risks for the amp (and for the user, potentially). Now, it's not a magical cure since it won't necessarily correct the basic character of an amp... but will quickly tend to sound fake iwith some settings - IME: YMMV.

More later and/or in PM's (I reply before and after my working days so my free time for that remains limited).

Thread Information