Fixing a fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fixing a fan

I have often run into small fans in some amps or in computers that aren't that old but start to make noise. Does anyone have any tricks like spraying lube of some sort in them or any other tricks that may quiet them?

mine on my 1990s Ampeg SVT-III amp was noisy, and knowing that I wouldn't be using it for a bit and could order a new one if needed, I took it apart. It was really pretty simple, dirt was inside it bogging its performance. I cleaned it dry and then lubricated the bearings, if I remember correctly. Regardless, in maybe 30 minutes time I had it apart and clean and back together. It has been working well since then - over a year and with fairly regular use.

Comment

I've done this with computer fans several times. Note that if it's the CPU fan replacement is the only option I'll use. Most of these are pretty small DC fans, not much taking apart can be done, they have a foil sticker on back. Carefully remove it, dust and so forth can be cleaned out with a small brush, I use a camera brush. Make up brush will work but they stink if ever used for make up (disgusting stuff) and usually are too soft anyway.

Then use a pin to get a very small dab of light oil, NOT WD 40. 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil is as heavy as you want. At one time 3 in 1 made an electric motor oil, I might have a dozen drops left in my can. I've been hoarding that...Apply A tiny dot of oil to the shaft, try and put the sticker back on and you're done. Larger ones like case fans are about the same but easier to work with.
      Why do I drive way out here to view the wildlife when all the animals live in town?

My Photography - http://billy-griffis-jr.artistwebsites.com/

Comment

Originally posted by daz View Post
        I have often run into small fans in some amps or in computers that aren't that old but start to make noise. Does anyone have any tricks like spraying lube of some sort in them or any other tricks that may quiet them?
        You can take the label off and spray LPS 1 in the sleeve bearing. Small amount, but make sure the lube soaks down where the sleeve holds the shaft.
        rotate the fan a bit to distribute the lube on the shaft...
        turn the fan over and allow whatever excess lube to drain out, onto a towel, wipe up excessive lubrication, and replace the label.
        LPS1 is non shorting, and usually works on fans pretty good. The manufacturer recommends it for electric motors....

Of course, excessive lubrication is always bad, and attracts dirt. SO, only use just enough to get it lubed, and not a whole bunch...
        I mean, if the fan is worn out, there is nothing like a new fan, of course it's better to get a new one.

Comment

Originally posted by soundguruman View Post
          You can take the label off and spray LPS 1 in the sleeve bearing. Small amount, but make sure the lube soaks down where the sleeve holds the shaft.
          rotate the fan a bit to distribute the lube on the shaft...
          turn the fan over and allow whatever excess lube to drain out, onto a towel, wipe up excessive lubrication, and replace the label.
          LPS1 is non shorting, and usually works on fans pretty good. The manufacturer recommends it for electric motors....

Of course, excessive lubrication is always bad, and attracts dirt. SO, only use just enough to get it lubed, and not a whole bunch...
          I mean, if the fan is worn out, there is nothing like a new fan, of course it's better to get a new one.
          Thanks 4 the replies.

Comment

Working...
          X