• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magnet Blade Bobbin Pickups, Built in plastic Humbucker Covers

Fixing to order some mojo parts.
    Was wondering if this blade bobbin?
    http://www.mojotone.com/Mojotone-Hum...hite-image.jpg
    Wonder if that bobbin will fit in this cover?
    http://www.mojotone.com/Mojotone-Pla...hite-image.jpg
    Best I remember these bobbins are a little bigger, than regular sized bobbins.
    I like how quiet the plastic cover humbuckers are.
    I discovered this when making my bass soapbars in plastic covers.
    Want to try it with guitar sized plastic covers.
    Want to see if I can achieve the same effect?
    If they will fit, I want to use blades instead of screw and slug bobbins, no string spacing issues.
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 02-13-2014, 12:17 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

No, they don't fit .
    even if you sand a little off each end ,the blade bobbin is too wide to get 2 of them in that cover ...
    "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

Originally posted by copperheadroads View Post
      No, they don't fit .
      even if you sand a little off each end ,the blade bobbin is too wide to get 2 of them in that cover ...
      Thanks Copper.
      Bummer!
      I guess I could use mini bucker bobbins and glue on fish paper to make the bobbins bigger.
      Was wanting the wide space for a bass neck pickup I'm going to route for, and try in guitar.
      Are you home for the holidays?
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

What If?
        I wonder what effect I could get, if I use 2 50mm slug bobbins?
        Then cut a steel strip and let the magnet stick it to the slugs on top.
        That would give a continuous magnetic field for each bobbin?
        Or might could dremel out a slug bobbin and insert a blade?
        Terry

Comment

It can be easily done you can sand them down to fit it shouldn't take too long ...It would be a pain to do all the time ...Dougie have sanded those down to fit 2 of them under a Firebird cover .

Comment

Now that I think about it, I think a blade inserted into a modified slug bobbin would be easy.
            bobbin appearance and look will not be an issue, since it will go into the cover.
            If I use a 53mm blade I can get a wider span?
            Terry

Comment

Looks like I came up with a solution to try.
              Mojo has a short bar magnet 2.180" that would fit in a slug, or screw bobbin if the center is modified.
              Mojo Pickup Parts » Alnico 5 Cast Bar Magnet (2.180'' x 0.492'' x 0.125")
              I'll order a couple and see what I can do with it.
              One cover, 2 bobbins, 2 bar mags, a piece of 4 wire, and I should be set.
              $2Cover +$1Bobbins +$6A5magnets +$1Cable = $10 + Magnet wire
              $2Cover +$1Bobbins +$1.5C8magnets +$1Cable = $5.50+ Magnet wire

T
              Terry

Comment

I have parts on their way from mojo to make these.
                I'm going to use 53mm bobbins, because that will give the widest spacing.
                I'll experiment with different magnets.
                Think it will be a cool alterantive to screws and slugs.
                T
                Terry

Comment

I have these partially built.
                  I cut out and modified the 53mm screw bobbins.
                  The bar Magnets are in the bobbins, and are ready to be wound.
                  Instead of a humbucker, it looks easier to build a Sidewinder pickup.
                  The bobbins will be on there side with a 1/8" x .7" x 2-5/8" blade between them.
                  I will try this design in guitar and bass applications.
                  With the 2-5/8" pickup blade, this will make a pickup suitable in width to most 4 string basses, and all 6 string guitars.
                  TBC.
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Post a pic when you can! I'm interested in seeing how these shaped up. More importantly I suppose though, how do they sound?

Thanks for sharing the experiment!

Phil

Comment

Thanks Phil for the interest.
                      It has been cold and rainey, and I haven't got back on the project.
                      It is spread out in the shop, I'll try to get it done and post some pics.
                      Keep in mind this is a prototype, and will be a bit rough around the edges.
                      T
                      Terry

Comment

Here are a few pictures of the Cover, wound bobbins, & Sidewinder Blade, used in the plastic cover pickup.
                        The bobbins in the cover side by side would be if you built it in regular humbucker style.
                        The bobbins laid on there side with the blade in the middle, would be for Sidewinder style.
                        This gives an idea how they go together, and I can add other pictures fully assembled later.
                        You can see that the center of the bobbins are drilled and cut out.
                        Those are 53mm screw type humbucker bobbins, and the steel sidewinder blade end to end measures 2-5/8 inch, perfect for a guitar or 4 string bass.
                        I will assemble and test them tomorrow.
                        Pics are a little blurry, but you get the idea.
                        Bobbins are rough cut prototypes.
                        T
                        Last edited by big_teee; 07-03-2014, 06:56 PM.
                        Terry

Comment

Great Job Terry

Comment

Looks good. Congrats!

If you happen to make a sound clip I'd love to hear it. I haven't seen a pickup design like that before and I'm curious how it sounds.

Michael

Comment

I wired the pickup in sidewinder fashion, and tested it in a my Lefty SG type Copy.
                              It has great tone in the neck position, even with Ceramic 8 magnets.
                              Very nice and warm neck tone.
                              I wired it out 4 wire, and hooked it up all ways, and the way I had it originally wired was correct.
                              It had good hum canceling, but was weaker than what I expected.
                              Sort of in the Single coil vs humbucker in signal strength.
                              So next I will take it back a part and wire it in humbucker mode.
                              No Sound Clips.
                              TBC,
                              T
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X