Dearmond Gold Foil Info & Rewinding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dearmond Gold Foil Info & Rewinding

Scored a busted Dearmond Gold Foil on the bay for cheap. I want to rewind it and use it on my archtop.

I've never opened one up before but now I have. Just a coil around a bobbin the top of which appears to be the magnet. What sort of magnet is this? Can it be recharged with neo's?

Also, I know these were wound with 43 and 44. I have 43 on hand. Anyone have any idea how many winds they had originally?

Sorry for the poor quality pics, my phone is S**t.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-18_16-22-09_675.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	868249

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-18_16-22-23_129.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	868250

that version - does it have a rubberized ferrite magnet? If so its 8,000 turns 44 between 10 and 11K- I doubt you can charge that with a neo- I dont really know but you shouldnt have to charge it. It is a somewhat weak magnet material. have fun with it.

Comment

Those are good sounding pickups!

Greg

Comment

The mag is very weak. Thus my curiosity about charging. I've never seen a rubber ferrite mag so I don't know if it's worth that. It's rigid. No flaking. And there's room on the bobbin for more wire which may come in handy since i'll 43 to rewind.

I'll post pics after. Here's hoping there's enough output.

Comment

Hi Jr Damien

Get yourself a tripod or turn the light on in the room where you take the photo you'll get a much better picture !

Cheers

Andrew
          Originally posted by jrdamien View Post
          The mag is very weak. Thus my curiosity about charging. I've never seen a rubber ferrite mag so I don't know if it's worth that. It's rigid. No flaking. And there's room on the bobbin for more wire which may come in handy since i'll 43 to rewind.

I'll post pics after. Here's hoping there's enough output.

Comment

Originally posted by the great waldo View Post
            Hi Jr Damien

Get yourself a tripod or turn the light on in the room where you take the photo you'll get a much better picture !

Cheers

Andrew
            But will I get better sounding pickups?

Comment

you can get some idea what the magnet is made out of if you can touch it with the probes on your ohm meter set for continuity test- if its rubberised or standard ceramic you wont get a beep, if its alnico you will get continuity

Comment

Rubber ferrite = refrigerator magnet. How cheap can you get?

Before I laugh too hard, I have an old Lafayette axe with gold-crinkle pu's. Not terrific but they still work. Might be just like yours.
                This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Hi Jr Damien

Maybe not but you might be able to see what your'e winding better. You know the old saying ? A bad workman always ____________________ s.
                  Cheers

Andrew
                  Originally posted by jrdamien View Post
                  But will I get better sounding pickups?

Comment

Hi Jr Damien

Maybe not but you might be able to see what your'e winding better. You know the old saying ? A bad workman always ____________________ s.
                    Cheers

Andrew
                    I usually put the camera down while I'm winding. That seems to help the most.

Mr. Lollar says it had 8k turns for 10/11k w/ 44 - anyone have an idea of how to approximate that with 43 awg?

Comment

Hi Jr Damien

Try using the pickup coil estimator here's a link
                      Coil Estimator
                      You should be able to get an estimation of the right amount of wire using the p90 setting (adjusted for your bobbin size. By the way i'm not trying to get at you (too much) My brother did photography in college and the first thing they told him to do was take a Kodak Brownie and come back with some decent photographs. I'm sure your cell phone could take some reasonable photos, use the macro setting and have plenty of light (the photographers best friend) and a steady hand.
                      Cheers

Andrew

Comment

Hi Jr Damien

Try using the pickup coil estimator here's a link
                        Coil Estimator
                        You should be able to get an estimation of the right amount of wire using the p90 setting (adjusted for your bobbin size. By the way i'm not trying to get at you (too much) My brother did photography in college and the first thing they told him to do was take a Kodak Brownie and come back with some decent photographs. I'm sure your cell phone could take some reasonable photos, use the macro setting and have plenty of light (the photographers best friend) and a steady hand.
                        Cheers

Andrew
                        Yes, I'll use an estimator if need be but I was curious if other people had more direct experience with it before I got to winding. Just picking brains.

I actually went to film school/know a little something about photography myself. For the sake of just showing everyone what I had and getting it uploaded quickly, a dimly lit photo from a 3 mpx camera did just fine. No reason to set up my pro gig for all that.

Comment

With 43 gauge you would get similar results with 8000 turns

Comment

Originally posted by jason lollar View Post
                            With 43 gauge you would get similar results with 8000 turns
                            Thank you, sir.

Comment

Can you fit 8000 turns of 43 gauge on that pickup Jason?

Greg

Comment

Working...
                              X