No announcement yet.

1 meg Volume pot in a 18 watt Lite II?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 meg Volume pot in a 18 watt Lite II?

I just finished my first non-tweed type amp - an 18 watt lite II w/SS rectifier. I built it in a chassis that used to house a 5F2A. I didn't realize while I was building it that the 18 watt layout/schematic calls for 5ooK pots so I just left the 1M pots in there from the Princeton. The amp works and sounds great and is whisper quiet at idle. But it seems a little overly bright, especially when you start to crank it. My question is: are the 1M pots making it a little brighter than normal? I have some 500K pots, but I don't want to mess around changing them unless they are making a significant difference. I've tamed overly bright amps before just by bypassing a plate resistor with a small cap. Should I just do that with this amp and be done? Or will it be worth the time to change the pots? Thanks for your help!

The 1M pot is the load for the preceding gain stage and also factors in to setting the high-pass filter cutoff for the preceding coupling cap. I don't think it'll be a big change in frequency in practice, however, so I think you can leave in the 1M pot if noise isn't an issue.

Comment

You could just tack 1 Meg resistors across the pots end to end to see if it makes any difference. I'm guessing it would make the amp slightly brighter still with a little less bass. The cap across the plate resistor would definately work.
      WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
      REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Working...
      X