A reverb story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A reverb story

A customer drives in from an hour away with a '68 Princeton reverb reissue - no reverb. 6 months old and under warranty, but he had already tried a new reverb pan, and a new 12AT7 drive tube. In out of town cases, I like to open it right up and see if I can save the customer a second trip - fix it on the spot then.

Crashed the springs, they were loud, so the drive was the problem. Open it up. Tube conducting, several volts on cathodes, B+ on plates. Signal on grid, none on plate, just ripple. Starting to suspect the reverb transformer. I don;t like suspecting transformers, they are usually innocent.

I was about ready to call it the transformer, and end the pleasant visit we were having, and then...

MY eagle eyes spotted the four push-on posts for the transformer wires and there before me the red and blue primary wires were shorted together. the red one was bent over to touch the one next to it. So B+ went on to the plate, but no transformer action. A quick bend with my pliers, et voila. Reverb.

Button it up, customer very happy, he even gave me a nice tip.

And the transformer was innocent again.
    Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Nice... My PT was bad. About to reply to that JCM2000 TSL PT post from a week ago...

Comment

A friend has a mid 70's Music Man RD110. The reverb was out. I tested with another pan... nothing. Took out the chassis and started looking around. I spotted the circuitry that feeds and receives the reverb signal. It all goes to RCA connectors that mount to the PC board. On the bottom side of the chassis, there is no labeling. Turns out, that the cables that were supposed to go to the reverb pan were connected to another set of RCAs for the foot switch. So I got out my sharpie and white labels and solved that problem. Once again, the 80/20 rule about connections or connectors, etc.
      It's not just an amp, it's an adventure!

Comment

Working...
      X