Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1964 Deluxe Reverb

Help

First off....this amp was in a fire, scorched tolex and grill, and major smoke damage

See pictures ....

VERY loud popping sound even when lightly touched anywhere on chassis or turning any knob.

Standby switch is good.

When I remove V4 the problem goes away. I am getting ready to change the socket.

Channel 1 was working great but not vibrato channel. Neither channel works now....

just loud popping.

All advice appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Doc Stitches; 06-09-2014, 07:36 PM.

Man, I wouldn't even plug it in until it is cleaned up.

Is this a customer repair or a project?
    Either way, I would strip the chassis down to nothing & at least shoot it with a coat of paint.

I might even attempt to repaint the trannys.

The biggest hurdle that I can envision is the carbon residue from the fire.
    Carbon is conductive, so it must be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Stitches View Post
      ...When I remove V4 the problem goes away. I am getting ready to change the socket.
      Channel 1 was working great but not vibrato channel. Neither channel works now....
      just loud popping.
      All advice appreciated.
      Consider this: When you remove V4 you disable the reverb recovery and all the signal /noise from the vibrato channel. Therefore, given the condition of the amp and the problems you are reporting, I don't believe that you have isolated the problem to the V4 tube socket. I agree with Jazz that the amp needs an extensive cleanup. Otherwise, you will probably be chasing multiple problems one after the other. I suspect that you loud popping is a bad solder joint or broken wire.

Comment

update ... 1+15 resistors

Originally posted by Tom Phillips View Post
        Consider this: When you remove V4 you disable the reverb recovery and all the signal /noise from the vibrato channel. Therefore, given the condition of the amp and the problems you are reporting, I don't believe that you have isolated the problem to the V4 tube socket. I agree with Jazz that the amp needs an extensive cleanup. Otherwise, you will probably be chasing multiple problems one after the other. I suspect that you loud popping is a bad solder joint or broken wire.
        Thanks Jazz and Tom

I found one 100k resistor I missed ( Imagine that )... totally FRIED. So I decided to change the other 16

resistors. Many had drifted too far.

Both channels work great except for the vibrato.....I can hear it ticking but that's all.

I have started the clean up as advised ....... I do not want to be chasing other problems.

By the way, what would it cost to have the Oxford speaker reconed ? ... It isn't working.

Thanks again
        Doc

Comment

You have shorted the vibrato RCA footswitch jack? The vibrato will not work until you do so or use a footswitch, which does the same thing.

Also, check that old Oxford well before you have it reconed. Make sure it's not just a broken tinsel lead or something of the sort. No sense messing with a vintage speaker if you don't have to.
          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

Did you do all of the cap and resistor replacements shown in the photos?

Try monitoring the voltages through the amp and see if there are any telltale signs in power supply bus when the popping occurs. Can you physically cause the popping by tapping on anything?

As The Dude noted, the foot switch jack needs to be grounded for the oscillator to run. If you can hear a vibrato ticking, the oscillator is running you just need to check to see that the neon lamp is flashing. If it is, then the Cds cell may be bad.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dude View Post
              You have shorted the vibrato RCA footswitch jack? The vibrato will not work until you do so or use a footswitch, which does the same thing.

Also, check that old Oxford well before you have it reconed. Make sure it's not just a broken tinsel lead or something of the sort. No sense messing with a vintage speaker if you don't have to.
              The Dude.... footswitch jack is shorted.... good call on the Oxford. I was guessing the heat from the fire automatically killed it. I don't want to bury the living !
              Doc

Comment

speaker update

The Dude.... footswitch jack is shorted.... good call on the Oxford. I was guessing the heat from the fire automatically killed it. I don't want to bury the living !
                Doc
                Hey The Dude ... Thanks for your tip on rechecking that Oxford speaker ... it is ALIVE and kicking !!!

52 Bill ... The loud popping happens when I tap the chassis anywhere ... frame, tagboard, controls, ... everywhere.

I still have to remove and clean most pots, switches, inputs, etc;.

Tom Phillips ... I will check all solder joints and wires again.

Doc

Comment

The loud popping happens when I tap the chassis anywhere ... frame, tagboard, controls, ... everywhere.

I still have to remove and clean most pots, switches, inputs, etc;.
                  Be sure to clean the tube sockets and socket pins also. This could be the source of the popping. If the chassis is super sensitive to touch, this may not work, but try taking a chop stick or something else that's non-conductive and tapping lightly to narrow down where the problem is coming from.

Comment

update

Be sure to clean the tube sockets and socket pins also. This could be the source of the popping. If the chassis is super sensitive to touch, this may not work, but try taking a chop stick or something else that's non-conductive and tapping lightly to narrow down where the problem is coming from.
                    The Dude........OK now....we're almost there ! This DR sounds VERY quiet and loud on both channels with no popping at all, no matter how hard I hit it

with the drum stick.

I found a loose ground wire from the brass plate to the tagboard ( it was loose under the tagboard ) ....thanks again to The Dude and others.

The vibrato is working, but I don't get much intensity control.............speed control works good.

Doc

Comment

Check that intensity control itself. It may be full of carbon internally and not working at all or working correctly. Check the actual resistance with a meter both outside leg to outside leg and both to the wiper as you move it through its rotation. I'm assuming you already have a good cleaner/lube. You should clean and lube all of the pots and switches. If you don't have anything good, Radio Shack sells this product which is a very good cleaner/lubricant:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...tent=CT2032229
                      Last edited by The Dude; 06-12-2014, 03:12 AM.

Comment

If all of that checks, you may want to look into replacing the Trem roach.

Comment

Check that intensity control itself. It may be full of carbon internally and not working at all or working correctly. Check the actual resistance with a meter both outside leg to outside leg and both to the wiper as you move it through its rotation. I'm assuming you already have a good cleaner/lube. You should clean and lube all of the pots and switches. If you don't have anything good, Radio Shack sells this product which is a very good cleaner/lubricant:

DeoxIT GOLD #G5S-6 Spray Contact Conditioner and Protectant : Cleaners & wipes | RadioShack.com
                          The Dude...............I had already cleaned and lubed all pots except the bias pot ( should I do that as well ? )

..............I will check resistance as described.............. I am by no means an expert so I appreciate your details ...

Jazz P Bass ..... I already ordered the roach. I usually have one on hand, but couldn't find it.

I am also putting the original Phase Inverter socket back in to keep it original.

Comment

All done with DR

[QUOTE=Doc Stitches;349405]The Dude...............I had already cleaned and lubed all pots except the bias pot ( should I do that as well ? )

..............I will check resistance as described.............. I am by no means an expert so I appreciate your details ...

Jazz P Bass ..... I already ordered the roach. I usually have one on hand, but couldn't find it.

I am also putting the original Phase Inverter socket back in to keep it original.[/QU

Just put in the new roach and all is good in DR World.............. she is very happy now....great vibrato and reverb, quiet amp,

and I can't believe how great the original Oxford speaker sounds ! ... and I was going to have it reconed

My next victim is a 64 Bassman head ........ personal project

Thanks again to all who helped bring this amp back to life !

Doc

Comment

Working...
                            X