Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone know how to wire a single conductor Gibson Pickup into Strat style switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone know how to wire a single conductor Gibson Pickup into Strat style switch?

I was curious if anyone has ever heard of, or ever actually wired Gibson Burstbucker Pro's with single conductor wire(the pickup's that actually come out of a real Gibson) into a strat style 5 way switch and pots.

I've been looking all over the place to find a way to do it, and I can't think of a way myself to do it, so I've had no luck.

I'm trying to do this cause I replaced my Burstbucker Pro's out of my Gibson Les Paul, with some Duncan's awhile back, and I have a custom that I built to the normal wiring and switch specs of a Strat. It's your typical 3 pot, 5 way switch set up, and I'd really like to put the Burstbucker's into the custom strat, but being single conductor, I can't figure out how to do it.

I would greatly appreciate anyone who can either think of a way to do this, actually tell me how to do it, or provide a link to a site that shows how it would be wired.

Thanks everyone,
    Matt

So I gather you want to split the Burstbucker to a single coil on the 2 & 4 position?

You need to rewire the pickup for either four conductor wiring, or three conductor wiring, which would run the series connection out for splitting.

It shouldn't be hard to do, but you have to take your time so as not to damage the pickup.

Basically you need to take the pickup apart, change the cable, rewire the bobbins, and put it back together.

Of course you don't need to split the pickup to use it with a 5 way switch.
    It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
    www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Actually I want to keep the Burstbucker as a humbucker, I don't want to spilt it to make it a single coil, and have it wired as a 2 conductor pickup, like you would normally purchase, from say Seymour Duncan. Cause in my custom I have a single coil Duncan Duckbucker, and I was going to replace the mid and neck position pickups from single coils to Humbucker's (AKA the Burstbucker Pro's), to make a very fat tone with the mixture of that Gibson unaltered sound, and then the high gain Duckbucker.

So you've got it almost right on what I want to do, but also, do u know where I could find a diagram of which wires exactly I would need to change. And what I need to use to find out which cords would be the "ground and switch wires", I know that's not exactly what they are, but you know what I mean.

I mean when it comes down to it, I only need to have it as the one wire being the one you connect to the Capacitor (pot) whatever, and then the other, being the ground. From there, because I dont' have my custom wired as a Tapped Strat wiring (which would be the use for the 3 wire) I just have it set up as the old school Standard Wiring pickup as seen here:
      http://www.seymourduncan.com/support..._1v_2t_5w.html
      Last edited by psychogenicreplica; 08-01-2007, 02:50 AM.

Comment

I think I've actually found a way to do it, I'll post pictures of the project tomorrow, just so it'll be out for anyone who had this idea ever, of course that is if it works, but I think I've more than likely figured it out.

Comment

The humbucker just connects to the switch the same way as a Strat pickup, which also has two conductors.

Just follow that diagram and instead of the white wire from the single coil, you use the center wire from the coax. The shield part goes to ground, which is the black wire in the strat pickup.
          It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
          www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

exactly my plans

Comment

Working...
            X