Problem with Boss DS-1 when connected

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with Boss DS-1 when connected

I got a DS-1 from a friend and when he gave it to me he said that it had a huge problem. He told me that whenever he connects it (with a new battery and connected/disconnected fron A/C adapter) the DS-1 nullifies the sound. I tried it myself and happened the same thing. There was only my amps light hum and an IMMENSELY muted sound (that was the guitar playing). Why is that happening on this pedal and if you know, how could I fix it?

Originally posted by jalvhe View Post
    I got a DS-1 from a friend and when he gave it to me he said that it had a huge problem. He told me that whenever he connects it (with a new battery and connected/disconnected fron A/C adapter) the DS-1 nullifies the sound. I tried it myself and happened the same thing. There was only my amps light hum and an IMMENSELY muted sound (that was the guitar playing). Why is that happening on this pedal and if you know, how could I fix it?
    Welcome to the place. Does it do this in both bypass and effect mode?

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Bill View Post
      Welcome to the place. Does it do this in both bypass and effect mode?
      It only happens when it turns on, on bypass works normally.

Comment

Boss DS-1 Schematic

As much as I or anyone would love to tell you that The Problem lies in a faulty component # XYZ, that ain't going to happen.

At the very least, you need to take a few voltage readings to see if any are off.

Sending a signal through the circuit & seeing where it fails is also an accepted troubleshooting technique.

I have attached the schematic, if that will help.
        Attached Files

Comment

Can you give us an indication of your technical skills and what tools you have?

You need to be able to follow the signal path through the schematic and relate this to the actual circuit in front of you. If you can do this, then a simple audio probe will enable you to trace the signal through.

There are components you can eliminate; the signal path is buffered when the effect is bypassed, so the path through Q1, C2, Q8 are fine, as well as C13, Q3 onwards.

It's the 'middle bit' that I'd be looking at first, to check if the signal gets in and out of the op-amp.

Comment

Working...
          X