Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Full circle- PRS SE recrowned and playing great!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full circle- PRS SE recrowned and playing great!

It turns out that the 2009 PRS SE Custom Semi-hollow with the very worn frets that I had asked about in June had enough metal left after leveling for recrowning. The frets are not very tall but the guitar is very playable.

I had been unable to use either of my recrown tools on the leveled frets above the 12th fret since they were almost full width "railroad tracks". It really looked like there was not enough metal left to make it play decently. But I had just leveled and recrowned my SE Singlecut last week which had a lot of fret wear so I figured that I would give this one another shot.

What worked for me tonight was the $20 diamond grit block which I had recommended earlier before I figured out how to use the $40 StewMac fret file and the $25 cylindrical diamond grit recrown tool from Amazon. One problem with the little blocks was that without some sort of holder the sharp corners would really dig into your fingers until it got quite painful. I was going to design some sort of holder for them but I tried using 5 inch curved jaw Vise Grips and it worked perfectly. With the 200 grit block I was able to reshape the frets enough to use my StewMac fret file.

I am sure that experts here could have reshaped the frets with a triangular file (or whatever) but I am still taking Fretology 101... So far I have put in about 120 hours working on my guitars, leveling the frets and recrowning them so its not like I'm a complete amateur just spouting crap I read on the internet. I've learned a lot from my mistakes... "Better not do THAT again!" Plus all of the great advice I've received here which usually doesn't sink in until I screw up and think to myself "so THAT is what they were talking about!"

I've been very pleased with the fret leveling because I've always had to have a slight bow in the neck to handle all of the bending I do. If I tried lowering the action the strings would get choked by the higher frets so I would have to raise the action back up which for one thing made it harder to play chords comfortably. After doing the basic fret leveling, ramping and crowning I would use a Sharpie to mark the areas on the frets which would choke the bent strings. If there were just a few I might just shove the Sharpie under the strings to raise them enough for me to get my sandboards in. If there are a lot of "choke points" I will loosen the strings and tape them out of the way so I can do a little more ramping in the trouble area.

I'm sure that other guitarists have their own idea of a perfect fret job and I encourage them to get some basic tools for leveling and "tweaking" their own fretboards. Start off with a guitar that you don't value very highly and see if you can make it play better.

I better sign off as I am still all wired up after fixing my 2009 SE Custom Semi-hollow...

Steve A.

P.S. One other thing I've been doing is making sure that the plain strings ring out clearly from the 12th up to the top fret. Not just eliminating buzzes but making sure that the notes ring out. And I am impressed how easy it is to play chords (my Achilles heel!) I used to have to press down hard but now its like the guitar is doing all of the work and I'm just kicking back...
    Last edited by Steve A.; 08-04-2014, 09:47 PM.
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Glad you've found a system that works for you.

For me the crowning file with the concave edges is the ticket. If I don't have to tape the board and don't have to worry about the "safe" edge of a tri corner file scaring the board that works for me. I saw the picture you posted of the vee block, if that's what you used in the vise grips it's very similar.

I've taken note of this ramping idea.

Comment

Originally posted by ric View Post
      Glad you've found a system that works for you.

For me the crowning file with the concave edges is the ticket. If I don't have to tape the board and don't have to worry about the "safe" edge of a tri corner file scaring the board that works for me. I saw the picture you posted of the vee block, if that's what you used in the vise grips it's very similar.

I've taken note of this ramping idea.
      Here are the two fret crowning tools that I have been using...

As for ramping... on the LTD EC-256 I worked on yesterday I followed John_H's advice and started the main ramp at the 15th fret. However after doing that I did minor ramping at first the 12th and then the 9th frets so that there was not an abrupt change.

Here are the fret crowning blocks I mentioned. They aren't as handy as the two other tools I've been using but after leveling the fretboard on the SE Custom Semi-hollow the "railroad tracks" were too wide to use either of those tools. Using the 5" ViseGrip made it a lot less painful...

FedEx delivered my radius gauges and 8" radiused sanding blocks on Saturday only to find that the LTD neck has a 14 degree radius. The 5 block kit that I ordered includes 12" and 16" blocks but not 14". So I used the 16" block and rotated it back and forth. (I had tried printing out the PDF file with neck radiuses before placing the order but the scale was way off. Give me a JPG file that I can manually resize, Mr. Pick Guardian! )

http://www.pickguardian.com/pickguar...s%20gauges.pdf

Steve Ahola

Last edited by Steve A.; 08-04-2014, 09:42 PM.
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Working...
      X