Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help tuning bass response in Guyatone TO-2 please! (theory inquiries as well)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickb View Post
    Yes it would cut it even more. I guess as I was mislead as you said you wanted more range.
    Perfectly safe assumption. And easy to see how you could interpret it that way.
    My apologies sir. I was speaking (or trying to) from the standpoint that if I had a current 'maximum' frequency response of say 663.15hz-4k, then I wanted to 'increase the range' to say 70hz-4k to add some bass back. And then you could use the cut controls from there.

As I was thinking everything from 663.15 to 70hz was already being cut out by their choice of a 240pf. (Hence my simple math in post 5.)

With the bass control set to zero ohms it doesn't remove any bass at all so it would be impossible to add more (with a bass cut control).
    I used ltSpice to simulate the network and draw the plots as I wanted to illustrate the difference. You could lower C6 a bit but I think JMF has covered this.
    Thanks! Will have to look into ltSpice.
    As to C6...here's why I asked in post 1 for 'value examples'
    I'm so easy to get confused with terms.
    You say lower, he says raise.... :x And you could both be saying the same from a different POV. lol

Originally posted by JM Fahey
    Experiment with raising C6 value, but too much of it will increase bass ... and mud.
    Let your ears be the judge.
    The funny thing is though why on earth didn't they just take the diodes to ground?
    Quite agree. And addressed the same in my reply to Juan

Also, along the line of funny things, if you were to add a discharge path through a resistor from C5, then you could get a level shift with one diode but I suspect that some tweaking of values would be required to make it effective. It's food for thought.
    More info please? =)
    Last edited by Audiotexan; 08-10-2014, 07:36 PM.
    Start simple...then go deep!

"EL84's are the bitches of guitar amp design." Chuck H

"How could they know back in 1980-whatever that there'd come a time when it was easier to find the wreck of the Titanic than find another SAD1024?" -Mark Hammer

Comment

Originally posted by Audiotexan View Post
      As to C6...here's why I asked in post 1 for 'value examples'
      You say lower, he says raise.... :x And you could both be saying the same from a different POV. lol

More info please? =)
      I meant use a larger value, lower frequency = larger. I had a brain fart and used 'lower' when I meant to say 'larger'. It happens. I have given myself an appropriately large slap around the head, I wouldn't count on that measure being effective for very long

I played around with the idea but it would be a essentially a complete new design and not just a mod since the drive level isn't compatible with the low impedance at the first cathode.
      Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Working...
      X