broken amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken amps

Hi this is my first post here but probably not my last as I sit here surrounded by dead or broken amps some my fault and some perhaps not! however I have just got a roland jazz chorus 120 which works fine but all effects do not work so no chorus,reverb or vibrato and I know nothing about electronics.I there an easy fix for a non expert to carry out?

Originally posted by johhno View Post
    Hi this is my first post here but probably not my last as I sit here surrounded by dead or broken amps some my fault and some perhaps not! however I have just got a roland jazz chorus 120 which works fine but all effects do not work so no chorus,reverb or vibrato and I know nothing about electronics.I there an easy fix for a non expert to carry out?
    I wish I knew the answer to that! I'm having a hard time in coming up with a single fault that would kill all the effects. Maybe others might have a good idea. Can a non-expert do it - yes! The key to success lies in common sense tempered with caution, soldering skills and the ability to follow directions, IMHO.

Here's a schematic as a starting point Roland_jazz_chorus.pdf
    Experience is something you get, just after you really needed it.

Comment

Originally posted by nickb View Post
      I wish I knew the answer to that! I'm having a hard time in coming up with a single fault that would kill all the effects. Maybe others might have a good idea. Can a non-expert do it - yes! The key to success lies in common sense tempered with caution, soldering skills and the ability to follow directions, IMHO.

Here's a schematic as a starting point Roland_jazz_chorus.pdf
      Thanks for the schematic.It looks like a lot of lines and hieroglyphics to me at present but I will try to fathom it all out!

Comment

Originally posted by johhno View Post
        and I know nothing about electronics.I there an easy fix for a non expert to carry out?
        Sorry but no.
        Lately I am seeing a lot of similar requests, both here and at SSGuitar, where there really there is no useful answer.

No problem at all helping a Tech or Tech minded Musician with some experience who is stuck with some problem, but who knows how to measure, identify bad parts, etc. , but Electronics 101 is way beyond what can be explained in 1 post ... or 40 .

The proper answer here is:
        1) get a schematic
        2) measure that all PSU voltages are present and reach where they are needed
        3) measure DC voltage at transistor/tube plate/collector cathode/emitter/base to detect any abnormal ones which may point to defects
        4) or if Op Amps, check that on output pins there is 0V DC
        5) inject 100mV 1KHz at the input and trace it along the path to check whether it distorts or disappears.
        Scope preferred, audio tracer acceptable, audio millivoltmeter third option.

Only *after* such tests are made and evaluated, we can really start offering suggestions based on "something"; anything else is just guessing.
        Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

What Juan said!!!

Maybe the first few times, you could politely ask to watch or for a few lessons from a tech in exchange for a few shop chores... Also, there is a safety issue - electrocution is something you only get to experience once. Don't let nickb's signature happento you!

Justin
          Last edited by Justin Thomas; 08-19-2014, 09:22 PM. Reason: simul-post
          "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
          "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
          "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Working...
          X