Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lacquering Process (back in the day. . .)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lacquering Process (back in the day. . .)

I'm guessing most have seen this many times, but I thought I'd pass this along anyway. I was rewinding a '63 Strat neck p/u the other day and found it interesting how the original lacquering had been applied back in the day. It looks like the bobbin was at the eyelet area and dipped in lacquer just enough to cover the magnets. I am assuming it was lacquer. It is more obvious in the pic of the bottom, but you can see it on the top flatwork as well. I guess the thought in the day was specifically to protect the magnets from elements that would cause corrosion. No addressing whether it would be a positive to seal the flatwork completely as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lacquer dip - bottom view.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	868789Click image for larger version

Name:	Lacquer dip - top view.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	868790
    Take Care,

Jim. . .
    VA3DEF

Here's an old thread that discusses it Jim.http://music-electronics-forum.com/t2530/

On mine I tape the eyelets, and dip them in waterbased polyurethane. I think dipping is better than spraying because the penetration is better. Originally it was used to hold the coilforms together, and to insulate the magnets.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Jim!

I'm curious about the circular impression on the bottom of that bobbin, I'm going to guess left there from the mounting fixture? I haven't had any of these in hand, but haven't noticed that before on photos I've seen. Could you tell if it was machine or hand wound?
      Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

Originally posted by Beef Coon View Post
        Thanks for sharing Jim!

I'm curious about the circular impression on the bottom of that bobbin, I'm going to guess left there from the mounting fixture? I haven't had any of these in hand, but haven't noticed that before on photos I've seen.
        I get those types of impressions if I press .195" magnets into .187" bobbins with my bobbin assembly jigs. The brute for of my arbor press expands the size of the opening almost directly laterally giving that doughnut effect, more noticeably on the top flatwork.

Could you tell if it was machine or hand wound?
        My guess is that it would have been hand wound as when I was backing off turns hoping to find a break near the outside of the coil, the first 100 runs or so were directly just off the bottom of the flatwork balancing out the shape of the coil a bit.
        Take Care,

Jim. . .
        VA3DEF

Comment

I think Beef is talking about the large round impression covering the 2 centre magnets Jim. I not see that before.

Comment

Yes, thanks for clarifying Jonson.
            Bobby, www.TysonTone.com

Comment

Originally posted by jonson View Post
              I think Beef is talking about the large round impression covering the 2 centre magnets Jim. I not see that before.
              I see now, but on that one I have no idea.
              Take Care,

Jim. . .
              VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
                I guess the thought in the day was specifically to protect the magnets from elements that would cause corrosion.
                And it clearly failed. So do the owner a favor and tape the magnets. Or it will fail again in 50 years.
                It would be possible to describe everything scientifically, but it would make no sense; it would be without meaning, as if you described a Beethoven symphony as a variation of wave pressure. — Albert Einstein

http://coneyislandguitars.com
                www.soundcloud.com/davidravenmoon

Comment

Originally posted by David Schwab View Post
                  And it clearly failed. So do the owner a favor and tape the magnets. Or it will fail again in 50 years.
                  Re-lacquered and taped before winding with FV. My best estimate is that it should be good for 51 years this time around.
                  Take Care,

Jim. . .
                  VA3DEF

Comment

Originally posted by kayakerca View Post
                    I'm guessing most have seen this many times, but I thought I'd pass this along anyway. I was rewinding a '63 Strat neck p/u the other day and found it interesting how the original lacquering had been applied back in the day. It looks like the bobbin was at the eyelet area and dipped in lacquer just enough to cover the magnets. I am assuming it was lacquer. It is more obvious in the pic of the bottom, but you can see it on the top flatwork as well. I guess the thought in the day was specifically to protect the magnets from elements that would cause corrosion. No addressing whether it would be a positive to seal the flatwork completely as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30161[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]30162[/ATTACH]
                    Jim,

I've seen this many times. In fact, I just looked at some of my older Fender pickups that I use as a reference and have a Grey Bottom Mustang pickup that is dipped almost identically to your picture. However, I also have another Grey Bottom Strat, from the same era, that was completely immersed. To be honest, I've never tried to see a pattern or cared much about it in the past...I'll study them more for this as they come into the shop.

As to "why" we sometimes see the line as shown in the picture, my guess is that it might be the preference of certain factory workers to leave the eyelets "lacquer free" for easier soldering. Or, it may be accidental that they just weren't dipped as deep in the lacquer due to a rushing or careless worker. We'll have to study this more to see if we see a pattern. We all have seen a lot of inconsistencies from the 50s, 60s & 70s.

I've always thought that they were dipped in lacquer for two reasons:

1) To insulate the magnets
                    2) To solidify the coil form

My belief and experience is that spraying them does not solidify the coil form as well as dipping them. I also generally tape my "F" style pickups as well.

Good catch and thanks for the post.

Jim
                    =============================================

Keep Winding...Keep Playing!!!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X