Flat Pickups!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flat Pickups!

I read the thread in the main area about a particular brand of flat pickup.
    Thought maybe that would make a neat project for the B/H Forum.
    I have a few ideas that might work for a flat sidewinder pickup.
    Looks like the trick would be to wind the coils around some alnico or ceramic flat magnets.
    2 flat coils wound around flat magnets with a short blade in the middle.
    I like the idea of building in into a pickup ring.
    Post your ideas here
    I'll start measuring pickup rings and magnets, and see what would work.
    T
    Last edited by big_teee; 09-26-2014, 05:16 PM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
    Post your ideas here
    I think your idea will work, but if I were doing it (and I might some day) I'd stick closer to my guesstimate of the original design:

Cut a rectangle of 16 GA carbon steel (dimensions for different models are listed on the site);
    Drill 6 holes down the middle to hold 6 neo mags (or try making the pup a bit taller, with 7 magnets aligned between the strings);
    Populate with 1/16" tall neo discs;
    Wrap with cellophane tape;
    Slide on rubber rings to act as end flanges (not sure of source... HW store O-rings?);
    Wind coils onto steel core (How? Not sure- need winder with a tailstock, custom faceplates...);
    Wrap with cellophane tape.

For details such as hookup wire connection, pickup frame, pickup cover, optional pickup ring:
    Peruse photos on the site- steal those too!

EDIT:
    Thinking about it a little bit- I'm guessing your pups would be easier to assemble with off-the-shelf parts, but probably not as "flat" as the originals. What are the thinnest alnico or ceramic magnets available? The "brand" bare neck pup is 5mm (.197") thick- and remember, that's with the coil wrapped around the core. I guess it depends how thin you need the pickup to be. In my case, I'd be trying to make a surface-mount neck pup for an archtop with very little clearance between the body and strings.

EDIT 2:
    Scratch the holes through the core; just stick a row of discs onto its surface (might need something to keep them in place).
    Maybe two rows (front and back) with same magnetic pole facing inward.
    Last edited by rjb; 09-15-2014, 10:28 PM.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

On the pickup ring, I was going to use a PAF type pickup ring.
      I can make it all smaller, I think if I wind it over magnets, and keep it to the size of a PAF Cover, but thinner?
      Parts will be easily excessible.
      So Lets make several designs.
      Since I have tons of alnico, and Ceramic magnets, and no NEOs?
      I'm going to stick to parts I have available, probably Ceramic magnets.
      Anyone else want to jump in and try one?
      On the wiring, I will probably do the wiring at the end of the PAF pickup ring.
      Haven't got to it today. Busy planting Clover Patches for the Critters, on the Mini-Farm.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

Everyone is welcome to give this project a shot!
        If you do please report back.
        I put my participation on hold!
        These Reasons are strictly IMO, IME!
        1. You end up with a compromise pickup at best!
        2. It would only be useful on existing non pickup guitars.
        3. If you make one, what becomes of the lead-in wire, and how do you get it to the pots?
        4. It's not that hard to rout a solid body guitar, and use a Real modern designed guitar pickup.
        5 On Flat-tops, IMO it makes more sense to use a Sound-Hole Pickup.
        Last edited by big_teee; 09-23-2014, 03:19 PM.
        Terry

Comment

Working...
        X