Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which Hammond transformers for Lightning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Hammond transformers for Lightning?

Hi all,

I'm new enough to this game, I've made some pedals and repaired/modded some amps but I really want to step it up and build a lightning clone, however I'm struggling to find quality, suitable transformers locally in Ireland (240v here).

Hammond are readily available (if a bit expensive), but I'm not 100% sure which ones would be best.

This is what I'm considering:
    - OT: 1650E (15W, 8k primary, 4/8/16 ohm secondaries - presumably just run an 8ohm speaker on the 8ohm secondary?)
    - PT: 290NX (290v not 285v - big deal?)
    - Choke: 158M (100ma, 195ohm) or 159P (125ma, 155ohm)

Anyone any thoughts on these? Or suggestions as to alternative transformers available in UK/Ireland?

Paul
    Last edited by llatsni; 09-26-2014, 12:41 PM. Reason: OT/PT

The 290NX is suitable for 4XEL84's and is way overkill for a Lightning.

I wouldn't bump the voltage on the PT at all. EL84's are happiest and sound best under 350Vp. I'm using a 270ex with a 100r sag resistor and have 355Vp and it's alright but I still burn through a pair of power tubes pretty fast and some of that classic EL84 "chime" is missing. If you're going to skip the tube rectifier I would go with the 270DAZ. It'll cost a little less too.

For the OT I would heartily recommend the 1608. It's just terrific sounding and has been used in MANY homebrew 2xEL84 amps. Don't fuss about the 10W rating. It's a much burlier OT than any standard 20W "guitar amp" OT. Remember that you're not going to be using for full spectrum reproduction in a hi fi application. A tech at Hammond I spoke with suggests using Hammonds "off the shelf" OT's at half the wattage rating for guitar amps. The 1608 in my proto sounds better than the custom Heyboer in the same amp. One rub is that you can only wire it for two secondary impedances without a lot of fuss. The 1608A is an easy wire secondary but costs a lot more.
    Last edited by Chuck H; 09-26-2014, 01:59 PM.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Thanks Chuck (edited the labels), I need a 240v PT so I don't think the 270DAZ will work... and I do want to run the rectifier (basically following the Trinity schematic). Is there anything else suitable, that's less overkill than the 290NX?

Good call on the 1608, it's cheaper for sure (but not by a huge amount: RRP's here are 1608 €65, 1608A €75, 1650E €85... but cash is cash!)

EDIT: Perhaps the 260G?
      Last edited by llatsni; 09-26-2014, 01:34 PM.

Comment

Any reason to not use a 125E? I've had no problems with one...

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-T125E

Cheap & dirty...

Justin
        "Wow it's red! That doesn't look like the standard Marshall red. It's more like hooker lipstick/clown nose/poodle pecker red." - Chuck H. -
        "Of course that means playing **LOUD** , best but useless solution to modern sissy snowflake players." - J.M. Fahey -
        "All I ever managed to do with that amp was... kill small rodents within a 50 yard radius of my practice building." - Tone Meister -

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Thomas View Post
          Any reason to not use a 125E? I've had no problems with one...

https://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-T125E

Cheap & dirty...

Justin
          No reason not to use it. I've just never used one so I can't remark on it. I do know a lot of guys at the AX84 site have it with good results. I started using the 1608 when an old poster (shea I think) tried one in an 18W clone and won a local amp shootout with it. Then some other guys tried the 1608 and reported great results. So it's just become my go to for 2xEL84 amps. For all I know the 125E might sound BETTER!?!

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

The 260G should be fine, but is still wayyy big for your project. It won't hurt anything but it WILL cost more and make the amp heavier than it needs to be. I also prefer PT's with end bells just for looks.

Because of your first choice I thought you needed a "Z mount" type. If that's not the case then your options are greater. I had a custom PT made for an amp about a year ago and was VERY happy with the builder. EDCOR. They have many off the shelf options. Check out the XPWR007 for your project. Not sure what the availability or shipping would be for you on this brand.

Comment

Thanks guys, all this is super helpful.

I think I've settled on the 1608A or the 125E for the OT depending on availability. The 125E is currently winning as it's half the price!

I can't find anyone with Edcors over here (XPWR007). But another option for the PT might be the 370FX, it's basically an enclosed version of the 260G as far as I can tell. Any opinion on open vs enclosed power transformers? Is it just for looks?

Comment

Assume that you're aware of Bluebell
                Also there's Valves Stuff who I think supply Dagnall made stuff.
                My band:- http://www.youtube.com/user/RedwingBand

Comment

Yes pdf64 - I actually contacted Bluebell yesterday. Philip says he's built matchless clones using the 125E with superb results. I'm going to get the transformers, choke and chassis from him... now to find the rest of the components!

Comment

Working...
                  X