Rattle in new Fender Blues Deluxe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattle in new Fender Blues Deluxe.

Hi, I got another question about my 1 and a half week old Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue. There's a fairly moderate rattle coming from the amp when I play. The rattle is stronger at some frequencies then other. I went down to the store with it and asked them, but they said it was completly normal, that all tube amps occasionally gives off this sound, and it was nothing to worry about. I don't really think it's a seriouse problem, but I just want a second opinion. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Just to discribe the rattling sound better I'd said it sounds like as if something is loose inside the amp. Like a metal piece of some sort. Someone discribed it once as the sound a lightbulb makes when it's done (you know with the string inside it). Of course, I've checked if all the tubes are ok, and they are.
    Last edited by Wiborg; 08-08-2007, 05:55 PM.

Is the rattle also coming through the speaker?...if it is that's called 'microphonic' and could also could make a vibrating sound right from the tube, too.

You could rearrange the 12AX7's to get the noisey one in say the driver location. It probably wouldn't be as micrphonically noticeable there. IF the tube is vibrating internally of course it would need to be replaced.

If it is a physical vibration, sometimes you can just pinch the tube with thumb & forefinger & that will silence it indicating that is the culprit. Watch out for heat! Also just tapping the tube with the handle of a screwdriver can bring out the vibrating culprit.

Power tubes can also be microphonic, but ususally with older ones.

We have also noticed that for some louder vibration issues with this style of amp, all y ou have to do is tighten the chassis mount screws that are on the side rear of the amp & lots of vibration will go away.

glen

Comment

Try taking the chassis out or using another speaker to try and isolate the problem.

I had a cheaper SS Fender combo that would vibrate and cause weird oscillations, like one of the components was vibrating and the noise was being amplified.....didn't bother fixing as it wasn't worth it..

Comment

NO. Don't do anything to it. It is a brand new amp with an issue. That is what warranties are for. Take it to the nearest Fender repair station for warranty repair.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

All those things I suggested could still be attempted without opening the amp or voiding any warranty OR having to wait for the service center to get to your amp.

If it ends up needing a new tube, Fender covers them for only 30 days, so don't wait too long to make up your mind.

glen

Comment

You are right Glen, but when you find the microphonic tube, you still have to take the amp in for the replacement. The service center won't just hand you one. And what if he breaks a tube? I'm just anal about these things.
            Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Working...
            X