DC at output of GK 700RB II amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC at output of GK 700RB II amp

I have a GK 700RB II that has a slight thump/pop at output as the mute relay turns on. At amp power on there is -0.082VDC at output and after the mute relay kicks over the output goes to +0.064VDC. It's not a terrible thump, just a slight DC sound, not close to damaging drivers. Does this sound normal? It just seems strange to me that the circuit utilizes a mute relay and there is still a little DC sound once the relay kicks over.

Second question - bias pot, what would be an appropriate place to measure bias in this circuit? It is R28 in the schematic.
    EDIT - I now see there is a two pin header labeled BIAS. I have 10mV across that, does that seem normal? I have the service manual for the original 700RB and that says to set the bias pot to read 5mV across the header.

gallien-krueger_700rb-ii_sch.pdf
    Last edited by disorder; 09-27-2014, 11:04 PM.

A slight dc offset on the output is fairly common, and yrs you can measure the bias across those pins .
    It usually says what to set it at on the schematic but 2 to 5 millivolts sounds about right.

Comment

I'm reading 10mV now. When power amp circuits start to get this complicated I no longer can follow what even the bias pot is doing. Can someone tell me if 10mV is normal on these amps?

Comment

The schematic you posted for the 700RB II says 10mV between the 2 pins of J5 (bottom right of schematic). So your 10mV is normal.
        Originally posted by Enzo
        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Can't believe I missed that. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X