Building a Frampenstein

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Frampenstein

Hi, my name is Bruno and I am a new member. For a while I have been planning to build my own custom amp. I finally decided what I want, thing is, I don't know how to get it. I have someone who is an experienced amp builder who can help me, but I wanted some more insight. I'm a metal band, but I play different styles too. My idea was having an amp with a Fender/Vox clean, Marshall(JCM 800) drive and Dual/Triple Rectifier for Gain. For valves I was thinking about 6L6s. Dimensions don't really matter as I can easily build a custom housing. I basically want a 3 band eq(Bass mids and treble) for every channel, spring reverb(I already have the unit) Stand by switch, volume and gain for every channel, resonance and presence knobs and a wattage knob(similar to he Laney Ironheart)16 and 8 ohms output for cabs(I'm going to pair is with a Marshall 1960b) For Preamp, I wanted between 4 and 6 17AX7s. Can anyone help me? How would I go about this? My idea was getting the schematics of each amp and mash them together, but I have no previous knowledge whatsoever.
    Thank you

So you're looking for someone to design you the ultimate amp for free, so you can take the design to a pro builder?
    Or you are a designer familiar with amp circuitry looking for a little help?
    Originally posted by Enzo
    I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

I'd point you out to the Marshall TSL, JCM2000 series. You can build a much more reliable power amp than they did but these strike my ear as 'covering all the bases' when working properly. Of course you can adjust the EQ's etc. to your taste. You might even find a failed TSL for cheap/free and build your dream amp in that box. It'll save you a helluva lot of drilling & punching if nothing else.
      This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by BrunoPortilho View Post
        Hi, my name is Bruno and I am a new member. For a while I have been planning to build my own custom amp. I finally decided what I want, thing is, I don't know how to get it. I have someone who is an experienced amp builder who can help me, but I wanted some more insight. I'm a metal band, but I play different styles too. My idea was having an amp with a Fender/Vox clean, Marshall(JCM 800) drive and Dual/Triple Rectifier for Gain. For valves I was thinking about 6L6s. Dimensions don't really matter as I can easily build a custom housing. I basically want a 3 band eq(Bass mids and treble) for every channel, spring reverb(I already have the unit) Stand by switch, volume and gain for every channel, resonance and presence knobs and a wattage knob(similar to he Laney Ironheart)16 and 8 ohms output for cabs(I'm going to pair is with a Marshall 1960b) For Preamp, I wanted between 4 and 6 17AX7s. Can anyone help me? How would I go about this? My idea was getting the schematics of each amp and mash them together, but I have no previous knowledge whatsoever.
        Thank you
        Buy a 3 chan Marshall, or build a JCM800, and use pedals.
        Sounds like a Kid Dream!
        T
        **I doubled with Leo, we both had the same Marshall idea.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
          Buy a 3 chan Marshall, or build a JCM800, and use pedals.
          Sounds like a Kid Dream!
          T
          **I doubled with Leo, we both had the same Marshall idea.
          Fist bump Terry! Don't do it without your fez on.
          Attached Files
          This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Sorry if my previous response sounded harsh. You said you have "no previous knowledge whatsoever". Most beginners start with something very simple, like a champ or deluxe.
            What you are wanting to do at your experience level seems impossible in my opinion. It's like not knowing how to crawl yet but wanting to start out by running a marathon.
            Originally posted by Enzo
            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

Hard to shoehorn so many amps into a single unit, maybe just use a splitter feeding three amps?
              http://www.jensen-transformers.com/as/as014.pdf

I do have a HUMONGOUS amp chassis I could sell you cheap...

Comment

How much power do you require?

What is your budget?
                WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Hey, he has the reverb tank.

Now that is a start.

Seriously: when the OP stated 'separate tone controls for each channel' my immediate thought was the Mesa Nomad.

Comment

I have a little bit of knowledge as I have tinkered with many amps, trying to find out how they work and stuff. g-one, you comment didn't sound harsh, maybe I should have worded my question in a different way. My Idea was to get the circuits from my favorite amps and mash them together. I just don't know how to adapt the so each of the diagrams work as a channel and not a single unit. My budget is anywhere from 0 to 2000. Although I wanted this project to be more of a past-time thing as I build guitars frequently. The power I require is at least 50 watts(I do know that valve amps put out more volume than solid states that have the same wattage)

Comment

A big question is: where do you live?

And U$ 2000 won't get you even close to what you want .
                      Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

Indeed!!! That would be a pretty cool amp. A miracle actually!

Thing is...

Those are all such different amps and when trying to capture the true magic of the designs that have become famous for their tone the WHOLE amp is involved. It's not as if others haven't tried to make amps that achieve some of what you're asking for. What you are most likely to end up with is a mediocre representation of all of them that lacks the magic of any of them. This is how such design attempts have usually ended up. That's just pissing in the wind. It's usually best to focus on one style of amp and then try to make the other "channels" as "not bad" as possible. At least this way you get at least one shining star tone and the others will be useful, if not ideal.

I did manage to build a vintage style amp (as in no "drive" and "ultra gain" channels) that successfully switches between being an AB763 Fender and a Vox AC50. It's a fabulous sounding amp. But if you want heavy saturation you're going to need a pedal with it. And, as a vintage type amp, it doesn't do the death crunch metal thing. Oh yeah, I had a point... That amp is a beast of a circuit. The differences between the two amp styles are barely manageable just to make this one channel amp that changes character with the push of a button. The amps proposed are even more different in many ways, and there are three (not just two), and there are additional extra gain features as well. Juan said that 2K won't get you there. He wasn't wrong.

Since you're not an amp builder it's my humble opinion that you should just find an amp you love for the most important of the three options you require and at least don't hate the other two. Believe me when I say that no matter how much $$$ you throw at a custom, this is about all you could hope for anyway. So find an amp and play your guitar and don't chase pipe dreams with respect to your tone. It's true enough that you don't get anything if you don't ask. Well... You asked. The responses speak for themselves.
                        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Hint 1:

Click image for larger version

Name:	TRIPLER.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	835492

Hint 2:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Axe-fx-ii-xl-announce-full_front600.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	835493
                          "I took a photo of my ohm meter... It didn't help." Enzo 8/20/22

Comment

A Laney VH100R will pretty much cover all of those bases.

Comment

Some say an PRS Achon will do these three as well!

Comment

Working...
                              X