Variable Resonance Pickups - Some Prior Art and Links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variable Resonance Pickups - Some Prior Art and Links

Here's some information and links on an interesting technique for controlling the resonant frequency of a pickup by electronically varying the load capacitance with pot-controlled feedback to one side of the capacitor.

The basic idea is from the late 60's and derived from, of all things, the Thomas/Vox original wah pedal (Cry Baby) design.

As you might recall, the Vox wah pedal is able to get a varying resonant filter from a fixed inductor, by varying a potentiometer mechanically geared to the pedal position. R.G. Keen provided an excellent analysis of this in the article:

The Technology of Wah Pedals

Is this relevant to pickup and guitar electronics design? You bet. Alex Troshnev in 2005 came up with a not widely publicized circuit for varying the resonant frequency of a guitar pickup using the same idea:

Built-In Guitar Amp - SAGE (Smart Altering Guitar Electronics)

While switched capacitor methods such as the Stellartone Tonestyler are in the market, and very useful, Alex's circuit allows continuous tuning of the pickup characteristics over a usefully wide range.

My own simulations and experiments show that for low-Z pickups, this type of circuit can provide about 1.2 - 1.5 octaves of range with a Q value of up to a little under 2 with a single fixed capacitor and a low parts count circuit. The tradeoff is that it is hard to get Q values more than about 2 (6 dB peaks. This may be just a limitation of my version.)

However, even with a Q limited to about 2, the circuit looks like it can emulate most traditional passive single-coil and humbucker resonant peaks when the passive PUs are in-circuit and loaded by controls and cable capacitance, just by turning the knob, or worst case by switching another capacitor in or out to change the adjustment range of the pot.

I haven't prototyped Alex's original circuit with high-Z pickups but don't have much doubt the method would work as he describes.

Alex's circuit represents the first attempt I am aware of to provide a continuous control over the pickup's real resonant peak frequency as an onboard control in the instrument. (As opposed to simulating the response with active filters, etc.)

This could provide an onboard tone control which is vastly more musically useful than the "vanilla" passive tone control we all love or hate, and in many cases don't use.

I am a bit concerned that someone will try to ring-fence this idea with patents. Hopefully this will assist more people to be aware of this technique as prior art and therefore most likely public domain, to preserve the ability of experimenters and small builders/manufacturers to explore and refine.

I can't comment on whether someone has tried to patent this or has successfully done so to date, so hopefully someone can help out with knowledge or a search.

Take care,

Charlie
    Last edited by charrich56; 10-08-2014, 02:08 PM.

The Villex Jazz bass pickups came with a passive midrange tone control schematic that may have done the same thing.
    Pickups
    He now sells a 'blackbox' passive midrange booster.
    Villex passive rotary booster
    The boosters look big enough to contain an inductor.

Comment

David,

Those look interesting, but unless I miss my bet, they just switch in capacitors and resistors to change the resonant peak from one fixed frequency to another fixed frequency, and change the height of the peak by varying the pickup loading. Yes, you can do things with inductors too; Bill Lawrence's Q-filter is a good example of this.

They wouldn't allow the player just to turn a knob and continuously change the resonant frequency of the pickup on the fly, like Alex's circuit does.

-Charlie
      Last edited by charrich56; 10-07-2014, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I'm trying to think of a name for this thing. How about "Honkmeister ?"

I know, it sounds German and Alex is Russian, but ....

Comment

The wah circuit was my first introduction to the (at first) surprising things feedback can do. Simple, and worked like a charm back in the late sixties.

Your second link contains a link to a write up on the guitar nuts site, the "how to make your strat quieter by shielding it" thing. That is still there! I especially love the section near the end where you are informed that if your guitar still hums, you wired it wrong, or you turned up the gain. Some people never learn that a single coil pickup hums primarily necause of magnetic pickup, and no amount of electric shielding can fix that.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sulzer View Post
            The wah circuit was my first introduction to the (at first) surprising things feedback can do. Simple, and worked like a charm back in the late sixties.

Your second link contains a link to a write up on the guitar nuts site, the "how to make your strat quieter by shielding it" thing. That is still there! I especially love the section near the end where you are informed that if your guitar still hums, you wired it wrong, or you turned up the gain. Some people never learn that a single coil pickup hums primarily necause of magnetic pickup, and no amount of electric shielding can fix that.
            Yes, that part of the article is a bit disingenuous. But E-field noise is a problem too, and if someone followed the shielding instructions there they would have an overall quieter guitar in many situations, or maybe "quiet enough" to be tolerable in their playing situations.

The big advance for many "home" guitarists trying to record with their computer was that CRT monitors went the way of the dodo bird. Those things were horrible to try to sit in front of and play. I don't think you could engineer a better EM noise generator than a CRT flyback transformer circuit.

Comment

Working...
            X