• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this T-Top Real?

Hi Everyone-
    Long time since I have posted here.

This one came to me this weekend.

A buddy sent me word that he just purchased "an old T-Top." He is happy with the sound of it.
    He had it mounted in the bridge of a strat-like guitar, with a big Floyd Rose bridge...
    I mentioned that he would want to be cognizant of the pole spacing issue of the 1.94" T-top when installed in a "fat strat" config.

Then he sent me these pics...

I noticed something funny about the feet of this thing... I have never seen a Gibby pup with feet like this...

And did Gibby actually make 50mm T-Tops? I always remembered them to be 1.94" and then there was a narrow model T for the jazz boxes. But, I am always learning new things... is this a genuine Gibby pup, or... is it an 70's Asian replica?
    (That's my hunch at the present).

And my buddy says he's OK with that if it is a replica, since he really likes the sound of it. So we won't be deflating anyone's hopes here if it turns out to be something other than genuine.

Also, I could not read what the water-slide sticker says... I have asked him to relay that to me. That might be telling.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

Best regards,
    CB

I have 3 sets of T-Tops left here, only 1979 and 1980 models. They all measure 49mm but looks like in the pic the left blade could be out of the actual hole by ~1mm. Those feet are easy enough to cut with sidecutters or a Dremel.
    Sigil Pickups ~ Stunt Monkey Pedals

Comment

Originally posted by CheopisIV View Post
      I have 3 sets of T-Tops left here, only 1979 and 1980 models. They all measure 49mm but looks like in the pic the left blade could be out of the actual hole by ~1mm. Those feet are easy enough to cut with sidecutters or a Dremel.
      Thanks for taking the time to measure your T's. Are yours the smaller jazz box T's or the 1.94" (49.2mm)?
      I forget what the measurment is on the smaller T-tops. If anyone here knows it would be cool to revisit that.

I will have him measure again, as I noticed the same thing you did.
      In the pic, the feet did not look cut, but I will ask him that too.

Regards,
      CB

Comment

Originally posted by Corona Blue View Post
        Thanks for taking the time to measure your T's. Are yours the smaller jazz box T's or the 1.94" (49.2mm)?
        I forget what the measurment is on the smaller T-tops. If anyone here knows it would be cool to revisit that.

I will have him measure again, as I noticed the same thing you did.
        In the pic, the feet did not look cut, but I will ask him that too.

Regards,
        CB
        If you have covers, you can tell the spacing real easy.
        A 49.2mm cover doesn't fit too good on a 50mm. and vice versa.
        I agree, the feet look machined, and not rough cut.
        I was of the understanding that the smaller gibson pickups were 1-13/16".
        That the 49.2mm pickups are 1-15/16 (PAFs) maybe someone can confirm both of those?
        Also you may want to get him to measure both the screw side and the slug side?
        GL BC,
        T
        Last edited by big_teee; 10-21-2014, 12:06 AM.
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

I did have a set with goofy feet a long time back but they were definitely done by someone (and poorly). Those one's do look clean but the left side looks to have a bit more slope on the bottom edge (top pic) that runs closer to the hole. Could just be the angle.

Here's the one's I used to have;
          Attached Files
          Sigil Pickups ~ Stunt Monkey Pedals

Comment

Thanks Cheopis! Great pic!

I remember working on a 335 once and having clearance issues with the pup feet in the neck pup pocket.

The problem was that the angle of the pup ring was kicking the feet back at an angle that interfered with the walls of the pocket.

I turned the ring around "backwards," where the fat part of the ring was closest to the heel of the neck, and everything straightened up! No interference problems.

So I wonder if someone maybe had the same problem once upon a time in the life of this pup.

After seeing the pic you sent, I think my friend just mis-measured and this is an old patent number T-top. Sticker has same number as yours.

I appreciate everyone's help. Thanks a lot.

CB

Comment

Working...
            X