Kay bass pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kay bass pickup

My friend who owns this bass refers to the pickup as "the Iceberg" in that most of it is below the water surface. It does sound very nice.
    Anyone have a clue as to what's inside?Click image for larger version

Name:	kayicebergpickup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	869028

Hi David. I am assuming this bass and very probably this is the guts.
    Attached Files

Comment

Jonson, Thanks that's indeed the one.

Looks like it might be an AlNiCo bar running right up through the coil? i'll get some measurements.

Comment

I love how that looks. It seems to me to be a chrome plated piece of steel with the mag underneath. I found this image which is close. The bar underneath from the top just looks like a bar but from under it's much bigger. Or indeed the middle bar is a magnet and the baseplate just directs the field.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pickupcoil2.jpg
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	835785

Also used for guitar too? I have to say I recently saw something like these on a different guitar and became interested. Interesting that it came up here.

This is very cool!

Name:	whitepickguardweb.jpg
Size:	691.7 KB
ID:	835786
        Attached Files
        Roadhouse Pickups

Comment

A lot of these old kay pickups which they called the Jimmy Reed pickup were just a bar magnet welded to a baseplate possibly alnico or cobalt steel and then the coil wound straight onto the magnet. Typical Heath Robinson deal from those days and thus making a good sounding pickup. I would think that Jason would know a lot about these things.

Comment

Name:	P2190009.JPG
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	835790Click image for larger version

Name:	P2190011.JPG
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	835791There are variations but the jimmy reed is basically a P-90 coil built around an alnico magnet that sticks up something like 1/2 inch above the coil and there is a chrome cover plate that goes over the magnet that makes it look thicker, the entire assembly is attached to a large metal baseplate

Comment

I found this site a while back with this guitar Guitar Blog: Symphony with strange rail pickups - can't tell more Those blades/rails sticking up from beneath the MOT look to be of a similar design.

Comment

Working...
              X