Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shipping fees from the Newark website ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping fees from the Newark website ??

I've never used Newark before, but I liked the selection and over the last couple of days have populated an order of mainly resistors and a few caps totaling at around 40 bucks. Not a big order and probably weighs about a pound. Today I go to check out and the cheapest shipping option is $31 !!!

Can't contact anyone on Saturdays and I was hoping to get this order off before heading out of town tomorrow. Does anyone know what their actual shipping rates are like? Some websites will hold an inflated shipping amount but actually charge much less. Can anyone attest to whether or not Newark is actually reasonable in what they actually charge for shipping?? I was expecting to pay up to $10 in shipping.
    ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Which freight option did you choose?

I 'captured' my last Inv from Newark.
    I usually choose USPS, as it is faster.
    $5.56 to PA.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Newark Invoice.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	836354

Comment

This is for ~250 1/2 resistors and a few small signal caps to florida.

~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Can you find another supplier that is nearly as cheap.
        I've bought a lot of resistors and caps and stuff from TubeDepot.
        https://tubedepot.com/t/diy-central/resistors
        They also have some bulk pricing.
        If you buy over $100 the shipping is free.
        That is easy to do, if you throw in some amp stuff, like tubes.
        I try to make bigger combined orders to cut down on shipping.
        GL,
        T
        "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
        Terry

Comment

Originally posted by mort View Post
          This is for ~250 1/2 resistors and a few small signal caps to florida.

Something is seriously amiss.
          $136 UPS RED sounds like the carton will weigh 10 lbs.
          I would call them, first thing on Monday.
          1 800 463 9275

Comment

A few weeks ago I ordered some power resistors and a small metal enclosure.....standard shipping.......cheapest choice......however figure gas and time could null that expense. The worst part if either you or them mixed up your order....now that really throws a curve ball.

Comment

This might be a glitch in the ordering process that charges a minimum of 1 pound for each item. Each resistor value is a different item so suddenly your order adds up to 50 pounds.
              WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
              REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Can you find it in Digikey? I use them all the time, I choose USPS (NOT UPS!!) and it's usually about $6 something. they ship FAST!!! I buy a lot of stuffs from TubeDepot also, they are slower. Never have I heard of $30 for shipping for small package.

Comment

If you place an order after a certain time on Friday it's not even going to get picked until Monday so...

And yes, there is something drastically wrong with that shipping, I've ordered from them and didn't have any issues.
                  --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

I just placed an order from Newark, several small caps and a couple hundred resistors, USPS shipping was less than six bucks.
                    --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

That's about right. If I remember correctly, Tube depot is even cheaper. But they are quite slow.

Comment

Just got back from out of town and used Newark's "live support" button which led me to a "click to talk" option. A rep called me in less than 30 seconds and suggested that I check my order for anything labelled as UK stock and/or out of stock. I found part numbers that fell under each of those categories, changed my order accordingly and it tallied me up a $5.78 shipping charge. Just thought I'd follow up on this thread and label it as "user error"
                        ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

I saw an interesting ad from the US Postal Service today. They suggested that some shippers are now charging by package size as well as weight. A 12x12x12 inch box will cost the same as something that weights as much as 11 pounds. Shouldn't be an issue in this case except... some of these places don't stock boxes in small sizes. I know I've seen a single tube of ICs shipped in a box roughly 3x4x24. It would be wise to check all the options when getting things shipped.
                          WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                          REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Shipping charges can be wildly unpredictable anymore. CE Dist just hit me for $63 for a two package shipment. One box had a 12" speaker and a couple lbs worth of small parts and the other box was narrow but almost 6' long and holding 2 yards of tweed cloth. Usually the site gives an inflated shipping "estimate" but then they actually charge less than that. In this case they hit me with an additional $.57 over what the estimate was. $63 for 20 lbs is really high. I can ship a 45 lb head from Florida to LA, and double boxed with a huge dimensional weight for only slightly more than that. I think it's time to get my own shipping account or something. I'm tired of having to police the shipping cost on every order.
                            ~Semi-No0b Hobbyist~

Comment

Originally posted by mort View Post
                              Shipping charges can be wildly unpredictable - snip - the other box was narrow but almost 6' long and holding 2 yards of tweed cloth.
                              It was the long box that did you in. Nothing new, I got hit with more shipping than the cloth cost when I special-ordered grille cloth for a customer, and that was 10 years ago. Woops, had to take a hit to the profit line but learned my lesson. Those who have to ship fishing rods & other long stuff gots to pay big time too. When I order heat shrink from Mouser, I tell 'em fold it up & don't worry about the creases, saves a bundle. No long boxes unless absoluteley necessary.

It's called "dimensional shipping rates". Another way to pick our pockets. What next?
                              This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Working...
                              X