Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rocktron Silver Dragon- tried mods and Q.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow thanks Mozwell, much appreciated!

After the lake today, I added all the caps (polarized) and the resistors (subbed in 33Ωs for decoupling & a 380Ω for IC2B to ground). I read that adding about 47Ω after the that regulator can reduce noise by 20dB. So far there's little difference, and that wobble is still there. You can hear it as the second pedal (tube only then Slayer channel added) vs the others— English Muffin' first and TightMetal is last. No speaker sim thus the take is bright! It came right off the pedalboard into an Audient ID22 interface.

It isn't on with just the tube. Kicking in the killer circuit takes it to the extreme. If I back off the diode blend, say to 9:00 then it goes away. Those 1uF caps does wean out the lows somehow. It starts to sound like Surfing With The Alien with a mid-peak. I'l spend a bit more time on it, it feels good playing through it. Funny how a simple 3+ gain stages of the Marshall pre rocks so well (about 110V on plates).

Maybe I should add another smaller cap to the DC heater supply and add grid stoppers. But with how the tube is angle-mounted that might be impossible; perhaps reduce the gain of the Slayer stage's gain somehow...?

N.B. I suddenly show a "line fault" on my power so factor that in. It's not normally THAT noisey on clean and usually better grounded. It may be the heat here today in the olde wires or grounding rod!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Guitarist; 08-14-2015, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Fixed the motorboating by adding a 10K from the V1b grid to ground. Reducing the gain there reduced the byproduct of low headroom I suppose. It sounds great now.

Comment

Working...
      X