Obsolete Electronics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
    I would have loved to hear it working, but unfortunately it had been disconnected from the system, replaced by an Austrian or German Plate Reverb, can't remember the brand.
    Probably EMT, they made a lot of plates. And also were one of the first to make a digital reverb, it looked like a control module for a space ship.

A studio about 30 miles north of here (Clubhouse) bought the whole kit n kaboodle from RCA's New York City studio chamber about 20 years ago. Pair of McIntosh MC30 amps, speaker pair, two DX77 ribbon mics, and best of all, a set of motorized curtains. Everything but the room. When Clubhouse moved into a purpose-built new building, there was a basement room all ready for the RCA kit. Rare that any studio has a real chamber, they do and it attracts some top talent to record there. Along with a well maintained old Neve console, scads of koool outboard gear, great mic collection, and a pile of vintage amps.

Wouldn't be a half bad idea to revive ION's chamber, and fit it out with remote control motorized curtains. Maybe even go stereo. There's nothin' like a real chamber.
    This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Irving View Post
      Also, the big studios in those days all had their own 'in house' reverb, which might have been a huge plate reverb, or a dedicated echo-chamber room.
      Or a grain silo.
      DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Led Zeppelin had a particular apartment complex with a multi story concrete stairwell that Jimmy considered the perfect reverb for recording drums. How they became aware of this or where it is I don't recall. But many drum tracks over the course of all their albums were recorded there. IIRC from the read, they had some gratis access originally but ended up renting the space from the apartment owner later.
        "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
        You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
        X