Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Glue (Super Glue)

I live in the Mid-South.
    It has been unusually cold here this winter.
    I had 2 new bottles of Loctite super glue in my shop, still in the packaging.
    Went to use some of it, and it wouldn't come out of the bottle.
    I took the glue in the house and warmed it up.
    I even ran hot water over one bottle.
    The glue never got any more pliable than a slow Goo.
    My Question does Freezing super glue, ruin it.
    Apparently it does!
    I guess I need to store future bottles in my house during cold weather.
    Discuss away.
    T
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

From what I've read, cyanoacrylate by itself doesn't fail from freezing. Neither stored or used. Maybe there's something else in the Loctite product that isn't as resilient.?. That would seem odd considering it's purpose though. Tool boxes and service equipment is often stored in places that get hot or cold to some extreme.
    "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
    You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

This was the liquid runny super glue.
      I always make sure the glue is liquid, and I can see it move in the bottle when I buy it.
      Had it in a dry desk drawer where I wind pickups in my cold shop.
      Normally the glue will last six months or so in the resealable bottle.
      T
      "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
      Terry

Comment

I don't know just how cold your shop was at any time. I knew a guy in Ca. that treated softer types and spalted wood for decorative but durable crafts like pen and knife handle blanks. He bought twenty gallons of the stuff (looked like plastic bleach jugs) and kept it in an outbuilding he used as a shop for many years at a time between replacing inventory. Now, it only freezes there once or twice a year, but it's enough to turn buckets of water, birdbaths and the like into ice cubes.

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?

Comment

It has not been below 10F here this year.
          Don't know if it actually got that cold in my insulated, but unheated shop?
          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by big_teee View Post
            This was the liquid runny super glue.
            I always make sure the glue is liquid, and I can see it move in the bottle when I buy it.
            Had it in a dry desk drawer where I wind pickups in my cold shop.
            Normally the glue will last six months or so in the resealable bottle.
            T
            Rotten luck, Terry. I don't know why yours went bad but my experience is similar, half a year or so once the bottle's open, then CA glue becomes gelled or solid. I generally use the thick stuff anyway, a "house brand" from local mom'n'pop hobby shop. They sell a fair amount so their stock is fresh and the price low compared to another chain hobby shop. What's important to know, is water will cause the glue to thicken and solidify, even the tiny little bit that's in the airspace in the bottle. That's why it likes to stick our fingers together - there's always some water on the skin even when it seems dry.
            This isn't the future I signed up for.

Comment

I've never had thin viscosity CA go thick (but I Don't remember ever leaving it in the sub zero temp) .but I've found thicker gel style glue goes thick within a year .
              "UP here in the Canada we shoot things we don't understand"

Comment

This has strictly been a cold weather thing.
                The glue was fine and runny prior.
                With pickups, I need the liquid.
                I get it from the local wally-world, They move tons of product.
                Not had any issue with it drying in the bottle after opening, and have used bottles for many months.
                Loctite, must have something in it that can't take freezing.
                I'll see if I can find a MSDS.
                Here's the tech data for it.
                http://www.loctiteproducts.com/tds/SG_BOTTLE_tds.pdf

** It says it doesn't hurt to freeze, but I beg to differ! lol
                Last edited by big_teee; 02-25-2015, 04:58 PM.
                Terry

Comment

FWIW cold by itself does nothing, but the "start hardening" trigger is ambient humidity, so much so that sometimes it's suggested to "breath" on parts about to be glued.

So in your case maybe temperature by itself was not a factor, but if it carries some condensation with it, then it certainly does.
                  jm2c
                  Juan Manuel Fahey

Comment

THANKS JUAN! I often wondered about that (But never troubled to look it up. Now I get to know it the easy way ).

T, There still may be a freeze problem with the Loctite product I suppose. In the future it may help to make sure bottles are stored so that the top is under product. On their side if they're full or even upside down if they're low.?. I do this with some fast solvent based products and it helps loads.

Comment

Originally posted by J M Fahey View Post
                      FWIW cold by itself does nothing, but the "start hardening" trigger is ambient humidity, so much so that sometimes it's suggested to "breath" on parts about to be glued.

So in your case maybe temperature by itself was not a factor, but if it carries some condensation with it, then it certainly does.
                      jm2c
                      If there was any moisture involved, it came in the bottle.
                      These were two new full sealed bottles, still in the cardboard pack.
                      Terry

Comment

If they are not beyond an expiry date, you should be able to get an exchange. If not, contact loctite. They would probably even be interested in getting them back to see what's up. If it says they can freeze, and they are not beyond expiry, they should replace them.
                        Originally posted by Enzo
                        I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

There's nothing on the packaging that says lot #, dating or anything.
                          Just a factory printed package, and same for labels on the bottles.
                          Nothing lot specific.
                          It would cost more to ship them back than they are worth.
                          I may shoot an email to loctite, and tell them there product in this case, Blows!
                          Terry

Comment

I always let them know. I complained online about crunchy potatoes in potato salad and they sent me $18 in coupons.
                            They may pay for shipping to deal with QC issues.
                            Originally posted by Enzo
                            I have a sign in my shop that says, "Never think up reasons not to check something."

Comment

cold doesn't typically hurt CA, as I remember my Dad kept his original bottle of Eastman 910 CA in the fridge for a couple years.

Comment

Working...
                              X