long life axial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long life axial

A recent "dark horse" axial cap that I've discovered is the Kemet PEG124 series, they are rated to to 125C (!) and have a ridiculous lifespan of 27,500h at 105C.

The highest rated voltage is 450V but they will likely handle considerably higher voltage with a reasonable lifespan. Sadly Mouser only carries the PEG124YJ2330QL1 33uF/450V 20x35mm $5.93

The other 450v units (22uF and 47uF) are rare, Allied sells the 47uF/450v units for $13.62 which is Atom expensive, although much smaller with much better specs
    see http://www.kemet.com/Lists/ProductCa...011_PEG124.pdf

some vintage Marshalls guys have been using those (also branded "RIFA") for some time now.

(FWIW) I have a 220uF(25V?) which I reformed (I don't think it was very old) and compared to some blue Philips, they seemed to have particularly low leakage. (The reforming of a few Cs turned into a bit of an experiment encompassing a number more on hand, and I found what I've read (that alu electros can have quite a bit lower leakage than thought to or specified) to be true. Specifically, leakage seemed to continously decrease if voltage was kept applied for hours or days to what seemed to be very low levels (9V measured over 100k R gradually decreasing to 0.1-0.3mV).)

Maybe those(PEG/Rifa) are esp. good for the B+ input stage C (lots of ripple)?

Comment

they definitely aren't new, I opened up a vintage swedish electrophoresis power supply (made in uppsala) and it was all PEG124s, Hifi guys love the giant white Rifa PEH169s

Comment

Working...
      X