TC Electronics BH250 NTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC Electronics BH250 NTC

Does anyone have the part number for the NTC (right after the fuse) in a TC Electronics BH250 amp? The remaining lettering reads 'NTC OD-11' but a third of it is blown away and it may have a character before the O.

Have you tried contacting TC?

TC Electronic Support : Submit a request for assistance

Comment

I have done but was hoping someone had the part number so I could wrap it up today while it was stripped down.

Comment

Well, here's the response from TC when I asked for the value of the component;

Thank you for contacting TC Electronic Support.
        I'm afraid technical information about our products is limited to our authorized service centres, sorry:
        Getting technical assistance for repairing products - http://support.tcelectronic.com/entries/20900108
        I hope this information has been helpful. If you should have any additional questions, please feel free to update this incident and I will be happy to assist you further.
        Best regards,
        Henrik - TC Electronic Support

Comment

That's enough to tell customers to avoid their products.

Comment

If you ever looked at the PC boards of their amps, you will see that the boards are actually advanced sound cards with powerful SMPS and sophisticated class-D power amp. That's why they decided that all servicing should be performed by authorized service centres. Otherwise, they should maintain a list of what can be done by unauthorized services. As a consequence it looks like replacing a thermistor should be also done by authorized service. It is also possible that replacing a fuse inside their amp is also a task for an authorized service .
            I wouldn't even ask them for the thermistor. This is a component that protects the power supply when the amp is turned on. So you may try anything like 5 Ohms /10A thermistor. It will work, or if it fails, there is a serious reason for the failure.

Mark

Comment

The thermistor failed with no other fault. Just infuriating not to even get the exact component value from them, even though pretty much anything with the correct current rating will work so long as it isn't too 'slow'.

Now firmly categorized under 'Do not buy' future landfill.

I can't see anyone at a service centre actually spending time on these; a sub-$10 SMPS and a processor/amp board that doesn't cost much more, so the hourly rate to fix would be difficult to justify compared to replacing boards. Once the models have been superceded how long will they 'repair' them for?

Comment

Found this - another brand rates the current of a "10D 11" at 2.4 A @25deg C
                The attached rates it at 3A.

Click image for larger version

Name:	NTC 10D 11.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	837149

Comment

That's the one.

Interesting it's rated much lower than the 5A fuse.

Much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                  X