Sunn Solarus in need of repairs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunn Solarus in need of repairs.

I picked up a Solarus the other day and it looks like someone tried to mod it. I am not sure where to start in fixing it. I found a schematic, not sure if it is any good, thanks google. Any pictures I can get of the insides or a real schematic would be a great help. Also I am not sure what year the amp is. Anyone know how to figure that out?

Some of their schematics have errors so be careful. Gut shots would help as long as they're big and clear. I've got a Spectrum II and a Sentura II myself and they're both apart for repairs.
    --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

I have noticed that there are problems with some of the schematic I found. I contacted Fender directly and they sent me a schematic but it does not match ether. I found the date it was made on the side, 4-20-71. Not sure if there is anyone that has one made around the same time that's willing to post some pics.

Comment

There are a few well known drawing errors. The thing is the Sunn amps of this era, well they really only ha a couple of circuits they used for most of them, so you likely either have EL34 or KT88, and they used a different PI tube with each. SO if you have say EL34s, look at the other EL34 schematics of theirs and see if the drawing error is not on them. We can usually look at the schematic and see what parts don't make sense, and also knowing tube circuits, we can infer what should have been.
        Education is what you're left with after you have forgotten what you have learned.

Comment

Mondo, can you post the codes off the transformers? The 6-digit code should have the date code in it. Also see if you can find codes on the pots. My Sentura II has '69 written on the inside of the chassis along with several production codes.
          --Jim

He's like a new set of strings... he just needs to be stretched a bit.

Comment

Working...
          X