Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wax to protect fretboard from CA (super) glue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wax to protect fretboard from CA (super) glue?

• I found recommendations on-line for Johnson's Floor Wax which does work but the fumes are very persistent. Rather than have to pry open the metal tin every time I wanted to use it I put some into 2 plastic jars which are normally water-tight (I assumed that they were airtight, too, but maybe not.)
    • The smell was coming from the two jars so I put them in a ziplock baggie and when the smell started coming out of that I put the baggie into *another* baggie. (I guess I figured out why they put it into a metal tin with a tight lid!)
    • So I was wondering if there is another type of wax which would protect fretboards from CA glue, and maple fretboards in particular from getting gunky looking when dressing the frets, etc. Mustache wax, maybe? (Actually when I read the recommendation I thought that they meant a paste wax for your car and that was what I first used.)

Steve Ahola
    The Blue Guitar
    www.blueguitar.org
    Some recordings:
    https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Was there a problem with the car paste wax?
    FWIW, Taylor recommends Turtle WAX Express Shine Spray Car Wax (carnauba wax + polymer shining agents) for their guitar bodies.
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!

Comment

Originally posted by rjb View Post
      Was there a problem with the car paste wax?
      FWIW, Taylor recommends Turtle WAX Express Shine Spray Car Wax (carnauba wax + polymer shining agents) for their guitar bodies.
      It did not seal the unfinished fretboard very well... heck I might even try crayons (if I could find clear ones.)
      What worked was using CA solvent on a rag and cleaning up the excess glue immediately but I am still looking for a way to temporarily seal the fretboard with something that could be removed later with something like naptha.

Steve A.
      The Blue Guitar
      www.blueguitar.org
      Some recordings:
      https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

Renaissance Wax my friend or parcel tape with straight edge to remove air pockets. Got the Renaissance wax from Ben at Crimson guitars.

Comment

I use masking tape. I'll leave enough room for the fret, but I protect anything that I don't want the adhesive to get to.

Comment

Working...
          X