Wind Direction and Mag Polarity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wind Direction and Mag Polarity

According to StewMac's information (probably my first mistake) they state PAFs were wound counterclockwise with the mag south facing the fillister bobbin. This configuration is out of phase with most every other pickup on the market.

Is StewMacs info incorrect or are PAFs out of phase with say...Duncans, DMZs etc?

Or...perhaps I am confused...does a clockwise wind mean the bobbin spins clockwise, or the wire wraps around the bobbin clockwise (meaning the bobbin spins counter-clockwise)?

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
    According to StewMac's information (probably my first mistake) they state PAFs were wound counterclockwise with the mag south facing the fillister bobbin. This configuration is out of phase with most every other pickup on the market.

Is StewMacs info incorrect or are PAFs out of phase with say...Duncans, DMZs etc?

Or...perhaps I am confused...does a clockwise wind mean the bobbin spins clockwise, or the wire wraps around the bobbin clockwise (meaning the bobbin spins counter-clockwise)?
    My machine spins the bobbin counter clockwise which makes the wind clockwise, south polarity to the screws side, seems to work with most others. Duncans a lot of times are different than most others, at least their single coils.

Comment

Originally posted by madialex View Post
      My machine spins the bobbin counter clockwise which makes the wind clockwise, south polarity to the screws side, seems to work with most others. Duncans a lot of times are different than most others, at least their single coils.
      That's what I've been doing too. Perhaps it's a Duncan issue only then? I thought I experienced the problem with other makes, but now that I think back I'm not so sure I'm remembering correctly. But I know for sure it was a problem when matched with a Duncan.

Comment

What came first; the Gibson or the Duncan?

Clearly Duncan made sure his pickups were only compatible with another Duncan.
        sigpic Dyed in the wool

Comment

The wire was laid onto the bobbins counter clockwise and the magnet placed south at the screws. If your winder spins clockwise and you feed the wire from the top-going side and you place the bobbin onto it top-side out the wire is laid counter clockwise. That's why "Seymour" came up with the top going left facing, blah blah ... blah blah, way of describing it.

If your counter spins counter-clockwise and you feed the wire from the top coming side and you place the bobbin top-side out, you're laying the wire clockwise. If you want it to be counterclockwise, flip the bobbin and spin away.

I think I got that straight. You get the picture.

Comment

Seymour

I think both wind counter-clockwise but "Seymour" use beginning of coil as hot(and ground) instead of the end of the coil.

Comment

Working...
            X