Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Split J Pickup Project/w big rod Magnets!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split J Pickup Project/w big rod Magnets!

Here's a project I've been wanting to try.
    Make, and drill the flatwork, and cover for a Split J Pickup, using .062" gray flatwork, and 4-- 5/16" x .75" rod magnets.
    Here's the pics of the starting place, where I rough cut the flatwork.
    Now the tricky part is drilling all the holes, in the flatwork, and cover, getting everything to line up.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by big_teee; 07-03-2015, 03:33 AM.
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

I finally got back on this project a little while late this afternoon.
    I drilled the flatwork, assembled, and wound the bobbins.
    Tomorrow I will drill the cover, shorten the bottom plate.
    Attach, wire and pot the pickups.
    The 5/16" magnets, actually gave more winding room than the 2-- .187" magnets.
    The 5/16" magnets only being one per string, gave more room on the two bobbin ends in the middle of the pickup.
    I put 10,000 turns of 43SPN on each bobbin. the distance between the flats is .525".
    It should be a strong bridge pickup.
    If I don't screw up drilling the no holes cover, it has turned out better than I had expected.
    Here's the pics and progress so far.
    Attached Files
    "If Hitler invaded Hell, I would make at least a favourable reference of the Devil in the House of Commons." Winston Churchill
    Terry

Comment

The bottom piece isn't really necessary if you're supplying the cover with the pickup.
      I've sold them with the bobbins held in the cover with a little bit of rubber cement.
      Works great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sj1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	987.0 KB
ID:	838098Click image for larger version

Name:	Sj.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1,003.5 KB
ID:	838099

Comment

Looks good Strat.
        I wanted to try the single magnet per string version.
        Only thing, I had to make my own flat work.
        I will drill the holes in the cover tomorrow.
        I'm going to shield the bottoms, and attach the two pieces to the extra bottom piece.
        I also wound the two bobbins RWRP.
        T
        Terry

Comment

Here's screenshots of the winding data for 42 and 43 wire for my Split J Single Pole per string pickup.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by big_teee; 07-02-2015, 03:56 PM.
          Terry

Comment

Here's the assembled, wired, and potted pickup.
            I used 4 wire cable, cause I'm not real sure how it wires, it being the first one, I played it safe with the 4w cable.
            It's a prototype, and not perfect, but I think it came out pretty good.
            Both coils have 10,000 turns of 43SP, in series the pickup is right at 11K ohms.
            There is a piece of copper ground foil between the two bottom pieces of forbon that grounds the magnets.
            The black and white wired coil, is North up CCW, the red and green wired coil is South up CW.
            I Super glued the cable and wire to the bottom flatwork.
            I will put it in the bridge of the test bass tomorrow.
            After testing it, I will spot glue the cover to the base forbon, to make it a bit more durable.
            Feel free to comment! Do you have a Pickup project you would like to post?
            T
            Attached Files
            Last edited by big_teee; 07-03-2015, 06:41 PM.
            Terry

Comment

Very Seldom does a pickup Please me on the first Wind!
              This one, WOW, it Sounds great, Much better than I expected.
              It still has the bright characteristic of a Jazz, without the thinness, and it being a Series Humbucker it is much louder, with less noise and hum.
              Good Highs, Lows and Mids, with good harmonics.
              This pickup keeps up with the P Multi-coil pickup I have mounted in the Neck, and Multi-Coils are Known for being very loud.
              The Addition of the shielded cable, and grounding the poles made it very Quiet.
              None of the popping and frying noises like you often get with other split pickups, like a vintage Split P.
              This like other big Alnico Rod pickups, IMO makes the two small magnet design obsolete.
              However there is room for both types.
              Recap!
              The Magnets are .312" x .75", or 5/16" x 3/4" A5 rod magnets. (Magnets are $.95 each from Shea at MagneticHold)
              Gauss Averages 1450 per magnet.
              The forbon is Gray .062"
              The Magnet height, or distance between the flats is .525".
              10,000 turns, of 43SP wire per bobbin.
              The bobbins measured around 5.5k, or 11k DCR both bobbins in Series.
              I HIGHLY RECOMMEND BUILDING THIS PICKUP.
              GIVE IT A TRY!
              T

Attached Files
              Last edited by big_teee; 07-19-2015, 07:36 PM.
              Terry

Comment

I always wondered if the dual magnets in P and J pickups made the pickup favor the 2nd harmonic when the string is vibrating at a right angle to the magnets axis (the way I play finger style) as opposed to up and down (slap and pop style).
                WARNING! Musical Instrument amplifiers contain lethal voltages and can retain them even when unplugged. Refer service to qualified personnel.
                REMEMBER: Everybody knows that smokin' ain't allowed in school !

Comment

Good question?
                  We would probably need some Trial and error testing to figure that out.
                  Do we have any volunteers?
                  T
                  Terry

Comment

Working...
                  X