Multi-Scale Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John_H View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up Jason, I followed your advice, and built an adjustable fret slotting jig. The neo magnets worked great for holding the saw blade to the guide. I used some big ones. 5/8 dia x 1/16 . It's difficult to remove the saw.
    Most excellent. Wax up that guide and it'll be smooth. I put a depth stop on mine, too, so I just saw away until it stops going "zzz-zzz-zzz."

I can't make out in the picture, but did you transfer the measurements to the board? It's very important that you transfer scale graduations ON the tapered string path of the first and last strings, otherwise you end up with different scales. This is the simplicity of sticking the Fretfind2d template directly to the board.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Rodgers View Post
      ..I can't make out in the picture, but did you transfer the measurements to the board? It's very important that you transfer scale graduations ON the tapered string path of the first and last strings, otherwise you end up with different scales....
      I attached the template to the board with a glue stick to transfer the layout. Yes the scale lengths are specific to the strings. I even did so on the one I did manually.

Comment

It's been a while since I've looked for custom string sets, but have you seen the newer D'Addario string calculator? String Tension Pro Just for fun, I entered a 7-string, 25.5" to 27" multi-scale, and an equal tension across all strings of 21lbs. The results give a custom set, each string within 2lbs of the desired tension, with .011", .015", .019", .028", .036", .049", .064".

But, yes, D'Addario sells all sorts of hybrid sets, even some intended for super-low, sludge-y tunings. A friend of mine built a sweet PRS-inspired guitar for a client who wanted to play in drop C (drop D, with the whole thing then tuned down a whole step) and had a hell of a time finding a set that would play in tune within the compensation range of the bridge. Can't remember what the set was called, but it worked and the client was happy.
        Judicious choice of string gauge can go a long way toward equalizing string tension on a conventionally fretted guitar. Even EB Cobalt wound strings (which I love) can be bought individually now. Custom sets are just a click away, for example see here:
        Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky Electric Guitar Single Strings and Build your own Custom String Set!

I haven't bought from these guys (yet) since Juststrings.com has me currently well supplied, but I plan to in the near future.

Comment

I emailed D'Addario and asked if they'd considered a "buy now" button on their string calculator. The guy who replied said they had, in fact, considered it, but weren't sure about how the labor involved would work or whether it would be worth it. I suppose if more people asked, they might find it feaseable. What they need to do is a little marketing to get people believing that choosing their own string sets is the next frontier in total guitar personalization and customization! "You've loaded up your axe with the best pickups money can buy, now get the perfect string set for your perfect tone- your fingers deserve it!"

Comment

How's progress, John? The school year has started (I'm a middle school band and choir teacher), so everything in my shop has slowed or stopped.

Comment

How's progress, John? The school year has started (I'm a middle school band and choir teacher), so everything in my shop has slowed or stopped.
              Things have been busy here, but I've moved forward with it some. I've built a droptop body, and a neck for the second one. I don't have a picture of the body, but here's the neck in progress.

Comment

The beat goes on. I'm about done 'til the hardware arrives.

Comment

Yesssssir! This is good.

You gonna mow down that neck extension for the pickup pocket, or leave it be?

Comment

Yesssssir! This is good.

You gonna mow down that neck extension for the pickup pocket, or leave it be?
                    Thanks Jason

Oh no, the neck tenon will be under the trim ring for the front pickup. None of that will be visible. The angled neck pickup, and surround will butt right up to the end of the fingerboard. I'll be using off the shelf 7 string humbucker bobbins and alnico 5 magnets with custom base plates, and covers

Comment

My hardware, and pickup parts arrived over the last few days. The bridge pieces from Rondo looked nicer than I expected. The seven string pickup parts came from Mojo, and showed up two days after my order was placed.

I had a surgery this morning, so I'm off of my feet for a few days, and taking it easy for a few weeks. Not being very good at sitting around, this cabin fever is already driving me nuts.

I'm hoping to get the plastics made, and the pickups wound this week. I needed the bridge to determine the height. I'm glad that it has a low profile. I wanted to keep the pickup cavity shallow to save as much of the neck join as possible, so the humbucker's will be double slug, with thin magnets. I'm sort of spun on these meds, so that's it for now. Pictures, and bridge data tomorrow...

Comment

Be well!

Comment

Hipshot has the single bridge saddles that are priced fairly well. Solo Guitar Bridges > Store > Hipshot Products love what you did with the scarf joint, I have a build that I am currently at a road block with , I was unsure if I wanted to add the wood between the scarf, but now I think I will go with it after seeing how great that looked!

Comment

I'm feeling better every day!
                            The pickups are done, minus some polishing, and gluing the covers on. The single string bridges from Rondo are a good deal. Not the most attractive, but they'll do.

I've got the bridge I'll that use on the first one now. There's easily enough compensation here.

Comment

If musicians were playing guitars like these in the 60's I would have been sure that I must be hallucinating!
                              The Blue Guitar
                              www.blueguitar.org
                              Some recordings:
                              https://soundcloud.com/sssteeve/sets...e-blue-guitar/

Comment

I've followed this thread. I'm somewhat a curmudgeon and I wasn't really on board with this idea originally, but I'm warming up fast. You do such pretty work and design I like that you've done a fairly exaggerated example of the concept too. It makes more sense if an artistic player wanted to take advantage of the longer bass scale. Earlier examples from Fender and Rickenbacker were more subtle and just sort of seemed like novelties. Your guitar is more gratuitous (good thing). There's no way I could walk past it in a music store without giving it a try.
                                "Take two placebos, works twice as well." Enzo

"Now get off my lawn with your silicooties and boom-chucka speakers and computers masquerading as amplifiers" Justin Thomas

"If you're not interested in opinions and the experience of others, why even start a thread?
                                You can't just expect consent." Helmholtz

Comment

Working...
                                X